Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #1
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Looking for a GD support network

I posted several days ago about testing positive for GD with this pregnancy, and have been testing at home for a few days now. I'm getting overwhelmed by having several high readings and am mostly looking for other moms who have "been there" and any resources that helped you understand GD. I'm curious to find out what it was like for anyone who had to go on insulin. I'm SUPER freaked out about that possibility (I really REALLY hate needles), and I'm curious what this will mean when it comes time to deliver baby.

TIA
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Three Little Monkeys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 671
My Mood:
I had GD weigh my first two pregnancy and I was/am diabetic for my last and this one. Honestly the needles for insulin are so tiny you can't really feel them. The finger poke hurts more than the shot. Having a few high readings right after being diagnosed is normal. You have to find what combos work for your body. Dairy actually helps stabilize me and keep my morning number down but a lot of people have to stay away from it. I can eat certain fruits while others I know can't. It's really just a guessing game until you find what works. During dd1's pregnancy I really struggled with keeping my blood sugar in check. Nothing seemed to be working. I had some crazy high readings during the last few weeks my doctor hospitalized me at 37 weeks because of it. I was there 3 days and they finally figured out I had a bladder infection that was causing my numbers to be so high. All of my babies went home with me and had just a little trouble with low sugar right after birth. A little sugar water in a syringe and non stop nursing solved the problem. You will find what works for you. Just keep at it. Remember a high reading here and there while you figure it out is ok. But if you start seeing a pattern or you are consistently getting high readings you should give your doctor or dietitian a call.
__________________
Wife of 11 years to my one and only love....
Mommy to X... 8/27/04 , E... 7/25/06... & our RAINBOW M...11/21/11

Not to crunchy...just a little crispy on the edges
Three Little Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Thanks for the reassurance. :-). I've only got three full days charted so far. Only two of my post meal numbers have been high (my cutoff is 140, and I had a 154 and a 172) and I know I messed up the meal both times by forgetting to add protein and the 172 was post breakfast where I forgot a protein AND had milk.

Where I've had consistent (so far) high numbers has been my fasting numbers in the morning. I've tested at 116, 112, and 104 and my dietician said she wants 95 and lower. So that has me concerned. I've read a couple articles about causes of high fasting numbers and they just have me confused.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
gabmaxi's Avatar
gabmaxi
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 609
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Thanks for the reassurance. :-). I've only got three full days charted so far. Only two of my post meal numbers have been high (my cutoff is 140, and I had a 154 and a 172) and I know I messed up the meal both times by forgetting to add protein and the 172 was post breakfast where I forgot a protein AND had milk.

Where I've had consistent (so far) high numbers has been my fasting numbers in the morning. I've tested at 116, 112, and 104 and my dietician said she wants 95 and lower. So that has me concerned. I've read a couple articles about causes of high fasting numbers and they just have me confused.
I think fasting numbers are the hardest to 'control'. My last pregnancy I had three or four high fasting numbers in the week that I charted so they recommended insulin. I ended up using glyburide instead, and that was easy no shots. I have done ivf, though, and the insulin needles are super thin (used them for lupron) and t was easy peasy. Nerve wracking the first time but after that you get used to it. Doesn't hurt!
gabmaxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabmaxi

I think fasting numbers are the hardest to 'control'. My last pregnancy I had three or four high fasting numbers in the week that I charted so they recommended insulin. I ended up using glyburide instead, and that was easy no shots. I have done ivf, though, and the insulin needles are super thin (used them for lupron) and t was easy peasy. Nerve wracking the first time but after that you get used to it. Doesn't hurt!
Is the glyburide a pill? I'll have to research that and see if it sounds like a better option. :-) I'd much rather do pills than needles. :-/
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Three Little Monkeys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 671
My Mood:
Fasting numbers can be hard. Try different snacks before bed. My doctor is happy if my fasting numbers are under 120. It varies from doctor to doctor. My cousin's doctor wanted her fasting numbers at 60! At 60 I'm shaky and sick to my stomach. It sounds like you are doing great! You will find what works. Your numbers are not so high that you should worry. You'll get it worked out!
__________________
Wife of 11 years to my one and only love....
Mommy to X... 8/27/04 , E... 7/25/06... & our RAINBOW M...11/21/11

Not to crunchy...just a little crispy on the edges
Three Little Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Little Monkeys
Fasting numbers can be hard. Try different snacks before bed. My doctor is happy if my fasting numbers are under 120. It varies from doctor to doctor. My cousin's doctor wanted her fasting numbers at 60! At 60 I'm shaky and sick to my stomach. It sounds like you are doing great! You will find what works. Your numbers are not so high that you should worry. You'll get it worked out!
Oh! I figured out some great news. Lol. My two post meal numbers that were high - I hadn't washed my hands before doing the stick!! This morning I had an on-plan breakfast an went for a long walk. Did my post meal test and got a 170!!!! I thought "there's no way that's accurate" and remembered I hadn't washed my hands. After washing my hands and trying again it was 117, which is under the 140. Both of my other high numbers were times I'd forgotten to wash my hands first AND had been hand-feeding my kids different things (Cheerios once and a granola bar once).

So now to figure out my fasting numbers.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
BeccaSueCongdon's Avatar
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Little Monkeys
Fasting numbers can be hard. Try different snacks before bed. My doctor is happy if my fasting numbers are under 120. It varies from doctor to doctor. My cousin's doctor wanted her fasting numbers at 60! At 60 I'm shaky and sick to my stomach. It sounds like you are doing great! You will find what works. Your numbers are not so high that you should worry. You'll get it worked out!
Are you on insulin at all? Or other medication?
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Three Little Monkeys
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 671
My Mood:
I'm on insulin. I always try to wipe my finger with an alcohol pad before testing! I have found some soaps will give me a high reading to.
__________________
Wife of 11 years to my one and only love....
Mommy to X... 8/27/04 , E... 7/25/06... & our RAINBOW M...11/21/11

Not to crunchy...just a little crispy on the edges
Three Little Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
bumminbeachbabe's Avatar
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,346
It's really trial and error while you figure out how your body responds to things. I found that my numbers were the best if I ate most of my protein first at breakfast. I was very sensitive to dairy, so I ate anything with dairy in the afternoon or evening.

I did end up on insulin. I was scared of the needles, but it really wasn't bad at all. Insulin actually gave me a bit more dietary freedom. I'm 8 days postpartum and still on insulin, but about half of what I needed during pregnancy.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
__________________
Anjuli, recently separated mom to Bubbles, my 5.5 year old wild man, Squidge, my almost 3 year old daredevil, and Lou, my 7 month old newbie
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.