Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
How much does your 1ish baby drink?

My dd is 15 months and I feel like she isn't drinking enough. I think it's partly my fault since I some times forget to give her her sippy cup. The sippy cup was a constant companion with my oldest at this age and with dd #2. There is 3 years between #2 and #3 so I had gotten used to them being able to ask for a drink if they were thirsty. The baby will all of a sudden get really cranky and then it will dawn on me she hasn't had anything to drink in awhile so I give her a cup and she downs the whole thing. On a light day she will only go through 4 diapers and I just keep thinking she should be going more than that. I change her when she first gets up in the morning and if she doesn't poop her diaper will only be a little wet when I change her before lunch and again before afternoon nap.

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrobinson
My dd is 15 months and I feel like she isn't drinking enough. I think it's partly my fault since I some times forget to give her her sippy cup. The sippy cup was a constant companion with my oldest at this age and with dd #2. There is 3 years between #2 and #3 so I had gotten used to them being able to ask for a drink if they were thirsty. The baby will all of a sudden get really cranky and then it will dawn on me she hasn't had anything to drink in awhile so I give her a cup and she downs the whole thing. On a light day she will only go through 4 diapers and I just keep thinking she should be going more than that. I change her when she first gets up in the morning and if she doesn't poop her diaper will only be a little wet when I change her before lunch and again before afternoon nap.
I can't really answer that because I still nursed both mine at 1. Are you possibly nursing/still giving bottles too? I would just be sure to leave a sippy at her level so that whenever she is thirsty she can grab a drink- but still be sure to offer her a cup of milk at the times you usually do. I think 4 wet diapers a day is fine. If her poop is hard then I would say she is probably constipated & you should try to offer more; but if that isn't a problem either I wouldn't be too concerned. Some of us (kids & adults- like ds1 and I) just don't feel the need to drink too often. Others do.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: How much does your 1ish baby drink?

Mine is still nursing at 13 months old. I might give a sippy for fun here and there. He has normal poops so I know he is not dehydrated. I might offer a drink more often, but I do not think it is a must.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
hollydawn
Registered Users
seller

My Lo is a little older, 19 months. I offer him a sippy of milk when he wakes. He doesn't always drink it all. I always leave a sippy of water on the floor and offer water with snack and meals. He still drinks a bottle before nap and bed and one in the motn. I would say on average his daily fluid intake is 25 oz or so.
hollydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
cytherea
Registered Users

My DS is also 15m. He drinks 1-2 cups of water a day, on average, plus nursing twice a day, but I try to always make sure he has a full cup available to him, both in his crib and in the playpen, in addition to at meals. I don't force the issue; he'll drink if he's thirsty and won't if he isn't.

If your DD is getting fussy and downing a whole cup of water when it's offered, have you tried just making sure there're cups around for her and see what she does with them?
cytherea is offline   Reply With Quote