Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
This is a topic that has been frequently on my mind since the birth of my son and now that I'm expecting again I'm really dwelling on it. What would/did you do differently during pregnancy, labor, birth, the first few weeks or months or the whole first year?

These are my biggies:

1. Hire a doula.
2. Dh is staying home from work for the first 2-3 weeks.
3. I hope to have my placenta encapsulated and/or TAKE THE DRUGS if I develop ppd again
4. Say no to the pitocin. Even if I need an induction again, they can get me started and then turn that evil **** off.
5. Say no to my evil in-laws instead of dragging my birth-injured butt and my constantly screaming newborn to their house so they could see him everyday.
6. Stay more active during my pregnancy.
7. Take the dang zofran.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: What would you do differently?

Congratulations!

I guess I have three:
1) push slower and try to avoid a tear.
2) buy bigger electrodes for my TENS unit
3) drink something when I am in labor even if I don't want to. I was a cracker at the end of my labor last time.

Last edited by evasimone; 06-06-2013 at 09:01 AM.
evasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone
Congratulations!

I guess I have three:
1) push slower and try to avoid a tear.
2) buy bigger electrodes for my TENS unit
3) drink something when I am in labor even if I don't want to. I was a cracker at the end of my labor last time.
What's a TENS unit ?
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah-B View Post
What's a TENS unit ?
It stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator. It's generally used in PT because it confuses the way your brain interprets pain signals. That's a super simplified explanation. They use it frequently in England during labor. I used it during mine and loooovvved it.

I bought mine off of overstock.com for $30 no prescription needed.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Something I would recommend doing, if you haven't already, is talk with your husband about previous births. I wouldn't say I had regrets but some things about my son's birth didn't make since in my mind, I didn't quite understand why things happens the way I remember it. There were a few things I wanted to talk to the birth center about before we chose them again because what I remember seemed to go against what they "stand for", just slightly.

It was great that we remembered our son's birth they same but through a very different position. He really helped me to understand the order in which some things happen and why they happened the way they did. I was completely comfortable going back to the birth center confident that the midwives did a terrific job instead of just a great job.

It was a little sad that it took us 3 years to talk about it. Though it was nice reminiscing. It had been on my mind more frequently since we started thinking about getting pregnant again, so we should have at least talked about it then. Even though we aren't planning to have a third I will need to remember to "reminisce" about this birth before it's too far out.

Other things I want to change:
1. More skin to skin time right after birth and the in following months
2. Start EC earlier (within first 3 months)
3. Get out of the house more.
4. Cloth diaper from first diaper if possible
5. Be a little more supportive of my mother and her flaws. Even though I push her away she has still been the best help we could have.
6. Find more patience for both my kids

My affirmations also include birthing at the birth center and not having the child instantly taken from me when baby pops out, but in the end that just depends on the situation.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 06-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #6
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's a great idea. I don't think we've ever talked about it which is pretty strange considering the negative feelings I have about it.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
That's a great idea. I don't think we've ever talked about it which is pretty strange considering the negative feelings I have about it.
Yes then talk with him, even if to see another point of view of how the birth went. Maybe he'll open your eyes to something you weren't able to see. GL
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasimone View Post

It stands for transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator. It's generally used in PT because it confuses the way your brain interprets pain signals. That's a super simplified explanation. They use it frequently in England during labor. I used it during mine and loooovvved it.

I bought mine off of overstock.com for $30 no prescription needed.
Very interesting... I'm going to have to look into this.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Bot Girl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Very interesting... I'm going to have to look into this.
Me, too! What is PT?
Bot Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Well, I had a C/S and will with future babies, so my list will probably look a bit different than yours for the actual birth part.

1) Do not refuse painkillers the first day, as staying AHEAD of the pain is a must, otherwise it's very difficult to enjoy baby.
2) No IV in place that will hinder holding baby or BF'ing (they messed up multiple tries and it ended up on the back of my hand. Never again)
3) Bring probiotics to hospital to avoid thrush from preventative antibiotics pre C/S
4) Seek help earlier for PPD, don't attempt to kill husband with death-ray-eye stares when he suggests help may be necessary
5) On this board, this may get me flamed, but: accept that it's okay to fail at breastfeeding, and no matter what herbs and pumping sessions were done, when only four ounces of milk are made in an entire day, my motherhood and sense of self is not defined by being successful or unsuccessful at breastfeeding.

What worked and I will do the same:
1) DH stayed home for 3 weeks after birth
2) Limited visitors
3) Sushi night before C/S
4) Chimes Ginger Chews and Hansens Ginger Ale for nausea on hand at all times
5) Sleep as much as possible, baby doesn't care about messy house. Their vision isn't that great as newborns anyways, even if they are judgy little things.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote