Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
If you're atheist or non-Christian...

Do you still celebrate or participate what's considered to be Christian holidays? We do it for the kids; Kim is Pagan so we don't exactly call it Christmas but to me it doesn't matter as I grew up restricted from celebrating the holidays and never wanted that with my children. We still enjoy going to the local farm to get the tree to decorate every year. Halloween is always fun. Spring celebration replaces Easter Egg hunt, etc.

Or are you against it for any reason? Any other non-Christian holidays you celebrate?

Just gauging what other families do I only thought about this because there's Christmas stuff out in stores already
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:
We celebrate Christmas but would love to stop! We've discussed doing Festivus in its place, but I would love to start a family vacation tradition at that time.

My favorite is Halloween. We don't do "Hallmark" holidays like Valentine's day and we don't do Easter.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you're atheist or non-Christian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychomom View Post
We celebrate Christmas but would love to stop! We've discussed doing Festivus in its place, but I would love to start a family vacation tradition at that time.
Sorry, I'm hijacking.

To the bolded: We did this with birthdays. Three birthdays are right in a row - literally - three days, three birthdays. I scraped birthday parties last year and decided to either to a BIG BIG gift or a trip. So far no one has complained.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
mbleblanc
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Do you still celebrate or participate what's considered to be Christian holidays? We do it for the kids; Kim is Pagan so we don't exactly call it Christmas but to me it doesn't matter as I grew up restricted from celebrating the holidays and never wanted that with my children. We still enjoy going to the local farm to get the tree to decorate every year. Halloween is always fun. Spring celebration replaces Easter Egg hunt, etc.

Or are you against it for any reason? Any other non-Christian holidays you celebrate?

Just gauging what other families do I only thought about this because there's Christmas stuff out in stores already
We do christmas and easter, but I grew up celebrating them but we never included religion. We call it christmas but it's really just about family, good food, presents, santa, and who has the best tree lol

I don't want to confuse my son by calling it something different.

We celebrate almost every holiday though, we have pagan friends so we participate in some of their festivities, we've celebrated the end of ramadan with other friends, random holidays I make up because I want to have a cake and have people over... any excuse to be happy and see friends and family!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #5
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Yep, for all the holidays that have both secular & religious aspects. Not like, Good Friday or anything like that.
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #6
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Our kids are still little and all of our family is Christian so for now we celebrate the regular holidays. I am pagan and my husband is an atheist. I would love eventually for the girls to celebrate the wheel of the year holidays with me but won't force them. I usually try to do a little something for each anyway even just a "themed" meal or small things like that.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

We celebrate Easter because it's just plain fun.
HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
HeatherM0529
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yes we do. We use that time to celebrate family and have fun with the festivities.
We celebrate Christmas for Santa and the kids. And yes my children will know about the REAL St. Nick eventually.

HeatherM0529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529 View Post

same here. we dont celebrate Easter other than hiding gifts and coloring eggs. we do presents on Christmas and for St Nick. we do it as a tradition type thing of celebrating as a family but no religion is brought up.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherM0529 View Post

Hijacking again!

We do St. Nicholas day and it is SO much fun!! There is a small Danish store here that goes all out with activities and it's a blast.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote