Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #11
Amby
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Some advice would be great.

You sound just like me I wanted to go into labor by myself so bad, with the first two I had to be induced because of toxemia the first was 3 weeks early at 7.2 lbs and the next one week at 8.6 lbs. I was determined to go into labor with the my last one all by myself I had gestational diabetes we did an ultrasound which said it was about 7 lbs but they can be off by a pound up or down. I told the doctor I would rather have an induction than a c-section and so one week before my due date I was induced with a 8.15 lbs baby. I realized in the end all that mattered is that I had a healthy baby and I did not have c-section. I know some people would rather have a c-section but thought of one makes me sick. I figure maybe with the next one I will have the oh yeah I am went into labor by myself but if not I will be disappointed but in the end it really doesn't matter. You will be okay with whatever you choose. good luck mama.

Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
jesshb
Registered Users
seller

mama! You can do it!

Question about your two other births. Did you have pain meds/epidural? If not, were you able to understand more where your second lo was at during labor?

With my first, I didn't have a clue where I was at in during labor. However, with my ds...I knew literally felt him traveling through the birth canal and knew it was time for me to push. I'm not sure if that is common or what, but it gave me a better sense of what was going on and the mental strength to keep on keeping on.

Also, I'm not sure if OBs will do this, but I had MWs putting warm cloths and massage to aid the stretching of the skin. Sadly, I won't be with MWs this time so I'm not sure if that would be an option, but I do have to say while I tore both times, it wasn't too terrible (my dd was 7lb13oz and ds was 8lb7oz).

Hope all goes well for you mama!

ETA: CONGRATS mama! Didn't see this was an old post!

Last edited by jesshb; 08-18-2008 at 09:15 PM.
jesshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #13
Ariana'sClothesline
Registered Users
Formerly: isfahel
seller

First, being a doula you probably know this, but basically everything the doctors say or do is hogwash. Your body is fully capable, I'm a small person and my first was a 9#er, and I pushed her out at home with no tears, my 2nd was an 8 1/2#er and I had him at home, standing up, super fast which caused a small side tear that I didn't even realize I had til a week and a half later. It healed fine on it's own. I would place money that your "needed" episiotomy's were't necessary at all, except in the eyes of the lazy doctor that just wanted to speed things up... I'm probably way to hostile towards the medical profession but I've known too many people that were abused by them.
www.arianasclothesline.com
Ariana'sClothesline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Indigo
Registered Users

They do not know how big she is, they u/s can be off up to at least 2lbs. It is not recommended to induce based on size estimates. I would not interfere in a pregnancy based on that, and I would really question a doctor who does so. ACOG does not recommend this practice, and does not recommend elective induction before 39 weeks. Inducing early puts you at more risk for a section than a suspected large baby. Baby position makes much more difference than size on how the birth goes. So having a doula, and moving and doing positioning can be helpful.

From here

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010701/practice.html

Induction of Labor. In cases of term patients with suspected fetal macrosomia, current evidence does not support early induction of labor. Results from recent reports indicate that induction of labor at least doubles the risk of cesarean delivery without reducing the risk of shoulder dystocia or newborn morbidity, although the results are affected by small sample size and bias caused by the retrospective nature of the reports. Results from one randomized clinical trial reveal similar cesarean delivery rates in the induction group (19.4 percent) compared with the expectant management group (21.6 percent), with five cases of shoulder dystocia in the induction group and six cases in the expectant management group.
Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #15
lorio
Registered Users

My Mood:

Try reading Ina May's guide to childbirth by Ina May Gaskin, if you haven't already. That woman makes you feel like you can give birth to anything....and you can.
lorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
SKITTLES46
Registered Users

My Mood:

There's nothing quite like going into labor on your own!
That said, incidentally I had a 6.5 pound baby that they took at almost 37 weeks, was told repeatedly if I went to full term that I would have a BIG baby. Decided to go UP/UC with my youngest, carried him to almost 41 weeks, and he was 8 pounds even.
They just don't always know what they're talking about!
Even if you do end up with a bigger baby, I've heard for some they are easier to deliver, rather then harder, and chances are your body is quite capable, as long as you aren't tied to a bed on your back!

Hannah
SKITTLES46 is offline   Reply With Quote