Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #11
dandasmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help me pick my toddler's brain...

Have you tried letting her just be naked? Or just a skirt with nothing underneath? DD was like that for months (pretty much this whole year) and she'd go potty just fine on her own. I thought she was ready for panties or trainers. But every time I'd put one on her, she'd pee in regardless. I got frustrated and had to back off. I thought I'd never be able to potty train her cause she pees in anything that touches her. So I stopped thinking about it and mentioning it (cause she is only 2). And weirdly enough she one day brought some trainers over so I put them on her, not making the big deal about it like I had been doing (I'd give her the lecture on ok, you have to pull them down to go potty or come get mommy and we'll go to the potty ok?) and she went all by herself.

I did notice that after a while she stopped going potty as much. In the beginning (naked time) she'd go more often. Not sure if it is a maturity thing or a readiness thing but now she goes a few times a day. We're still working on it but it seemed like as soon as I backed off and stopped making a big deal about it (which was SOO hard to do), she started doing it on her own. I've read where it can be a control issue for kids...

Hope this helps!

Advertisement

dandasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #12
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old DD is doing the same thing too She's content to sit on the potty fully clothed or just in underwear or a diaper, but actually having her sit on it naked to go pee makes her freak out majorly. She'll pee in a diaper or underwear with no issues. I've tried letting her watch me pee, talked about how our pee & poo goes in the potty, got the cute underwear with Princess & the Frog on it and talked about how we don't want to get the Princess wet, tried using a timer, not using a timer & just watching for signs of going, candy rewards, sticker rewards, new toy rewards...NOTHING works with her. She'll sit on the potty for 20 minutes not doing anything, get up & put on her panties, then go pee in them less than 5 minutes later. I mentioned it to our Early Head Start provider and she said some little girls don't cope well with idea of being nude down there & the action of peeing, especially if its cold in the house...with underwear or a diaper on, their little girl regions are covered but if they're naked they're getting a bit of a breeze & some of them just freeze up and don't want to go because of the air down there? Don't know if its true but I've been letting her run around naked all day to see if it helps & all that I've ended up doing is cleaning up puddles of pee everywhere...she did stand over the potty once and pee, but refused to sit...not sure if it was on purpose or she just happened to be standing in that area We're considering backing off for awhile to see if it makes a difference, but I don't want to be really inconsistent with it either and confuse her. With DS, we completely gave up, stopped talking about it, stopped reading books about it, everything...within a few days, he woke up one morning & started going to the potty and never used a diaper again...he was completely potty trained all on his own without any prompting or help from us except for #2 wiping help, with no accidents. I think it was as simple as him knowing how to do it and just fighting us tooth & nail simply because we were making it so obvious that we wanted him doing it and just to be stubborn.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #13
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashncakes View Post
My 2 year old DD is doing the same thing too She's content to sit on the potty fully clothed or just in underwear or a diaper, but actually having her sit on it naked to go pee makes her freak out majorly. She'll pee in a diaper or underwear with no issues. I've tried letting her watch me pee, talked about how our pee & poo goes in the potty, got the cute underwear with Princess & the Frog on it and talked about how we don't want to get the Princess wet, tried using a timer, not using a timer & just watching for signs of going, candy rewards, sticker rewards, new toy rewards...NOTHING works with her.
They are like twins! Right down to the curly red hair!

I did try and back off today, and she actually DEMANDED that I put on her undies. So, she wore undies all day. She peed once in her bed during naptime, once on the stairs, and once in the bathtub. But I didn't react, simply had her help me clean up and get clean undies on. Hey, at least she WENT pee today, I guess that's better?

I suppose I'll keep going with the undies and see how we do in the next couple days...
Old 07-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #14
teal
Registered Users

Doe she like to mimic? What about a demo from Mommy? Maybe if she sees you using the adult potty and not freaking out about it, she might decide to go on her own.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #15
kbstanley3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son was the same way. -Very- advanced in every other area, but refused to use the potty. When he was 18 months, we had like, 5 straight days of pottying but nothing else until he finally turned 3. Basically, I hyped him up a lot and he finally decided he was ready. It really used to p!$$ me off when people would say things like "Well, usually unless they are delayed in some area they can potty train by 2" or "Stop being lazy, why is he still in diapers?". You know, I would have loved to see them try to train him! Basically, we just had to try to get him as excited as possible but with no stress or trying other than asking him about once a week if he wanted to start using the potty now. And then after a month or two he -finally- decided he was ready (right when he turned 3). HTH!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 PM   #16
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Update...though it isn't much of an update.