Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
libster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
18 mo napping boycott

He's just too interested in life to sleep right now! As he's drinking his naptime (or bedtime too, for that matter) milk, he stops a couple times to tell me about the book we read earlier, or who we saw that day. It's like he can't turn his brain off. I know that it's a good thing that he's thinking about stuff (he seems to be a pretty smart kid), but is there any way I can help him stop thinking for a little bit, at least enough to sleep some? It seems like this is a once a week thing lately that he won't nap. Is this something he'll grow out of?

Advertisement

libster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Just2fornow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 18 mo napping boycott

We went through that! Do you have a very regular routine? Darken the room, turn on the music/white noise, rock, etc? My DD is also very smart and as she learned to talk and express herself she had a hard time falling asleep but the more we stuck to the routine the easier it was. We would spend a few minutes "reviewing" our day, read a book and turn on the music. Hopefully he will grow out of it quickly! Good luck mama!
Just2fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:27 PM   #3
libster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do have a pretty regular routine. But it's almost like the book gets him more excited! I am hoping that once our playgroup starts up again, he'll get more tired. I might need to get him more exercise and see if that helps. but it's just gross out right now.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
isaacsmum
Registered Users

My DS is a little older, but he's been doing the same thing for a month or two now. Maybe one day a week, I won't be able to get him to nap. We'll sit in his room with the lights down and relax, but he's just too excited to sleep. No idea if they grow out of it, but you're not alone! I usually just end up going with the no nap after an hour or so, and just get him to bed for the night a little earlier on those days. Maybe your LO will be giving up naps early? I know occasionally kids stop napping before age 2.
isaacsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
libster
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh. I hope he's not giving it up early -- we are just about to TTC #2!