Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
OrganicGem
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

d

Advertisement

Last edited by OrganicGem; 10-09-2010 at 05:32 PM.
OrganicGem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: how many toys do your kids have?

I purge toys whenever they get out of hand, but my kids are young enough, that I don't involve them yet. (DD would save EVERY toy, even ones that she has NEVER played with).

I have a closet with toys that I rotate in and out of the play area. Once toys are outgrown, they go to Goodwill/Salvation Army. Duplicates go as well. When I purge stuffed animals, all the ones that have gone through the rotation and have never been played with, go first. Next go the ones that are rarely played with or were only played with long ago.

When DD makes a big mess, she is required to help clean it up. If she refuses, then I start bagging things up. Anything that I put in a bag before she starts putting things away, goes "in the trash" (I really give it to GW/SA). She knows this, so when I get out the bag, she immediately starts cleaning up. Once she starts cleaning up, I help her clean up and put things away.

HTH

GL mama. Toys can easily and quickly get out of hand.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
mommyof3monsters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

TOO many - thats how many. We put the kids together in DS' room for the rest of summer since his room is bigger ( DD is with her father every other week so I also have my desk in her room - and she is moving with her father this school year but thats a whole nother long story lol ) and they always ended up in the same place anyways. Well now DD's "old" room is the playroom/office and every surface has toys we have a few of those long thinner rubbermaids FULL of toys , a few other smaller ones full , they ahve toys just flat out everywhere in here its BAD - and they went through them less than a week ago and i pulled out atleast 4 good sized boxes for this weekends yard sale. The issue is - they play with everything thats left so I'm not going to tell them no - even though I would love to get rid of toys that get left all over the house , they play more than they watch tv soooo I cant complain too much ...

although DH said he would love to take a shower some morning without 15 nekkid barbies smiling at him...
mommyof3monsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
Tweedledum
Registered Users

Well, expecting your kids to respect and value their toys would be an age-dependent thing, no? I think if that's what you want them to learn, maybe paring down the toy collection is in order, and then from then on giving them a monetary budget for toy purchases and asking grandparents/families to only give gift cards for toys-r-us and only on Xmas and bdays. That way, the kids have to really think about how they want to spend their money, and they are more likely to take care of the toys. This is assuming that your kids are old enough for this, of course.
Tweedledum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
chickenmonkeybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicGem View Post
So, I am thinking of letting each child pick of a dozen or so toys that they really want to play with and taking all of the other toys out of their room. Donating what we don't want to keep and storing the rest, to alternate with the other toys at a later date.

Also, I'm wondering if this is not so much a cleanliness isuue as it is a respect issue. I feel like my kids really do not respect or value their toys. When they go up to their rooms to play, they throw their toys all over the place, in a matter of minutes their rooms go from tidy to trashed. I want them to take care of their toys, value that their daddy and I work hard for them. Instead I feel like they think this is all replaceable. I know they are just kids and I have to teach them to value their belongings, so do you think having a minimal amount of toys might help to acheive this?

thanks ladies
Short answer, yes I do. I think your solution is right on target
Old 08-12-2010, 12:47 PM   #6
OrganicGem
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

d

Last edited by OrganicGem; 10-09-2010 at 05:32 PM.
OrganicGem is offline   Reply With Quote