Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2010, 11:54 PM   #1
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Allergy Testing....

I did NEAT testing through the naturopathic doctor when Conner was little, but our doctor has since retired and our new one doesn't do NEAT. So..... I was thinking of getting Conner tested the traditional route, because I think he's having some type of food reaction. My question is, though, is it uncomfortable, scary, painful, etc... to go through? If your LO has gone through it, did it bother them?

Advertisement

jveprek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Allergy Testing....

My 2 y/o DS has been through the traditional testing 3 times and yes it's uncomfortable, and somewhat painful although prob no more than shots it's more scary for mama because you know someone is gonna poke your LO and you have to hold them still for it. First they'll do the prick test for the most common allergens and anything you might suspect, then possibly a blood test also, the blood test is the easiest since they only take the blood once where as the prick test has one prick per food. The test that was the most uncomfortable for my DS was the patch test. In that test they make a patch with bits of the actual food and place it on the LO's back and leave it there for 3 days. The allergenic foods actually caused burn type marks on his back (it was severe eczema) and he was so itchy, so spending 3 days trying to keep him from scratching and hearing him tell me it hurts was sad. However all that said the knowledge we got from having the tests done was invaluable because his list was long and there were things on it that I'd have never guessed and are pretty common in foods such as barley and rye, and potato. Also following up annually has proven to be worthwhile because he had new allergies, or at least they were foods he hadn't been fed yet at 1 but then I tried at 2 and suspected a reaction so when his 2 year visit came I had them test and sure enough he's allergic to all fish. Even though the ER people told me it wasn't an allergic reaction the night it happened and that he prob just dislikes fish. So in the long drawn out way I'm telling you that no it doesn't bother them all that much and the info you get from it could prove very important to your LO's health.
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #3
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoulainAK View Post
My 2 y/o DS has been through the traditional testing 3 times and yes it's uncomfortable, and somewhat painful although prob no more than shots it's more scary for mama because you know someone is gonna poke your LO and you have to hold them still for it. First they'll do the prick test for the most common allergens and anything you might suspect, then possibly a blood test also, the blood test is the easiest since they only take the blood once where as the prick test has one prick per food. The test that was the most uncomfortable for my DS was the patch test. In that test they make a patch with bits of the actual food and place it on the LO's back and leave it there for 3 days. The allergenic foods actually caused burn type marks on his back (it was severe eczema) and he was so itchy, so spending 3 days trying to keep him from scratching and hearing him tell me it hurts was sad. However all that said the knowledge we got from having the tests done was invaluable because his list was long and there were things on it that I'd have never guessed and are pretty common in foods such as barley and rye, and potato. Also following up annually has proven to be worthwhile because he had new allergies, or at least they were foods he hadn't been fed yet at 1 but then I tried at 2 and suspected a reaction so when his 2 year visit came I had them test and sure enough he's allergic to all fish. Even though the ER people told me it wasn't an allergic reaction the night it happened and that he prob just dislikes fish. So in the long drawn out way I'm telling you that no it doesn't bother them all that much and the info you get from it could prove very important to your LO's health.
I had heard that blood tests aren't as good because they only test allergies not sensitivies????? Do you know anything about that?
Old 09-02-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
DoulainAK
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's true, they aren't as sensitive. The best test for sensitivities is the patch test but you're likely to only get it if you go through a real allergy clinic not just your pediatrician. My pediatrician did the prick test and the blood test the first time and I had to push and push for a referral because those results were saying milk was A-Ok and I knew it was not.
DoulainAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
an_aurora
Registered Users

My allergist (probably the same office that DoulainAK sees, since it's the only one in town ) says that milk is an odd allergy that only half the people who are allergic to, will test postive. Both my younger kids had both the prick testing and the patch testing done.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
jveprek
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies. I'm going to call our naturopath on tuesday and see which way he thinks is best for us to go