Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #21
Roxanne010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Saving kids clothes?

I'm gonna sound ridiculous, I have saved all my clothes so far, I buy in bulk at garage sales when I find nice stuff up to 2 sizes too big for my oldest so I always have stuff to size up. I have 3 girls, ages 3, 2, and 3 months so I actually don't even completely pack stuff up. Now the weird part is that I also have a bunch of boy clothes, we've been given a lot and since we still plan on having at least 3 more kids (and we never find out the gender), I have maybe 3 or 4 rubbermaid bins full of just boys stuff. We really thought our last dd was gonna be a boy, we had all the boy stuff ready to pull out . But yea so I'm the crazy one that saves it all

Advertisement

Roxanne010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #22
penelope picklebottom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I probably save about 1/4 of my youngests clothes beacuse we have not decided if we are done yet. With my DD I saved everything and then finally purged when she was 4, it was just too much stuff. My kiddos are seven yrs apart and boy/ girl though. This time around I only save the gender nuetral baby items and some of the nicer boy clothes like name brand jeans that I know won't go out of style. Luckily we have family that loves to shop it's rare that I ever have to buy my kids clothes. I supplement the wardrobe here and there, but we have a shopaholic MIL with a childrens place card and some friends that give us hand me downs. I vote save your favorites, sell the rest at a consignment shop and put the money you make into savings for your kids or a baby fund for the next LO.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #23
EmmaJane
Registered Users

I have two DD's, 4 years apart... and we had a heck of a time having the 2nd... so it's clear that we won't have more.

I saved every stitch of clothing from DD1, and bought a lot of GN stuff for her before DD2 was born... kept it in big plastic boxes, sorted by size and season (sorta).

It's basically all getting reused now -- yay! -- but as DD2 grows out of things, they go OUT. Out of the house as fast as I can manage. We have some friends who are taking hand-me-downs, and what they don't need goes to Goodwill pronto.

It would have been very hard having all the boxes of clothes if we hadn't managed to have another child... we have been very lucky.
EmmaJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:12 PM   #24
hopetc
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ds1 will be about 3 1/2 yrs older than ds2. I guess I'm lucky since I saved the clothing to be expecting the same gender I saved everything that was unstained and without substantial wash wear. Some are a bit worn, but still nicer play clothes. I have about a small diaper box per size up to 3t now which does not take 'that' much room.
hopetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:43 PM   #25
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've saved every piece I've ever bought for DD and for DFS. This baby is the last one, and I am selling everything as we go.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
greek4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My boys are 3 and 1. I saved most of DS1's clothes and still do. Some things go straight from DS1's side of the closet to DS2's side of the closet. Stuff the DS2 outgrows go to my sister then she gives them back for our new baby coming in April. I figure after most of the clothes make it through 4 (or 5 if she has another) kids then they are probably going to be done.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #27
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I'm the worst with this. I practically saved everything that we liked a lot and that had no stains/signs of wear. Dd is two.

The problem is this - dp has a cousin with 7 kids. The youngests being boys. She buys brand new everything for these kids and everything is in perfect shape.

I am in the process of helping her clear out her house by partially filling up my attic for boy stuff.

The next baby we don't want to find out the gender (even though it may be up to a year before we even ttc). I want at least 2-3 more, and plan to pass around the clothes to other family members should they have kids in the near-ish future.

I am also loaning some of the stuff I am getting to other people and just won't be too disappointed if it doesn't all come back.

It seems wrong to be stocking up on the stuff but it is free and will get used.

She has 3 excersaucers, swings, highchairs, 2 bumbo chairs and lots of other stuff.
moonlightblonde is offline   Reply With Quote