Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Synagis....

My baby is now 6 weeks old (33 weeks corrected), and now is the start of RSV season as you all know. Are your babies qualified for synagis? Anyone not getting it for there little ones? The doc was gonna give it to Cameron yesterday, without even talking to me about it first, but I stopped him and said I was still doing research on it and that I'd get back to him.
I think we've decided to go ahead and get it. Have you guys got it yet? What was your experience?

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
newtwinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Synagis....

My 27 week twins born 10-4 will get it. I have seen preemies and former preemies get very very very sick secondary to RSV and would never forgive myself if something happened to my boys. Since the shots are not formulated like traditional vacs (it is more of an antibody and is preservative free), I am less hesitant to give it.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
DommysMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?
Old 11-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
irelandclover
Registered Users
seller

My son does not qualify by the "standard" but our pedi is pushing it through because he is failure to thrive and we haven't been able to rule out the cause yet. My niece was in the hospital for a very long time last year due to RSV and pneumonia, so we will give be giving him the shot once we get formal approval.
irelandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM   #5
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

We didn't vaccinate until after age 2 for both preemies but the youngest qualified for and got Synagis. My middle daughter was a 34weeker who got RSV at 39w GA and ended up hospitalized and incurring lung damage. She was very very very sick. I would not hesitate to do synagis if my child qualified.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
LunaBirch
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We're a non vaxing family, however Synagis is one we DO give. My 32 weeker (now 2) got it for 2 seasons (this is his first season without it). My 31 weeker (now 9 weeks) just got his first dose 10/29 just before he was discharged from NICU.
LunaBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
howmanykids
Registered Users

My Mood:

i just got approval from insurance, so my 34 weeker will be getting it!!

Katie, Wife to my WONDERFUL Hubby, Roger, (7/01/06) SAHM to Christopher (7/25/07) and to Patrick (3/3/09), and Little Miss Maggie Jo (10/3/2010)
howmanykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
Chrijodo
Registered Users
Formerly: RiverDrakesMomma
seller

My Mood:

My 2 year old qualified because of his heart and got it for 2 seasons. My girls were 34 weekers and they have had 2 doses thus far and will get it for at least this season. If your child qualifies, I would definitely get it, beats the alternative by far
Chrijodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

this is the only shot we consider. my niece(34 weeks) was sick for her first 4 winters(she is six now) with RSV. my oldest(35 weeks) was sick her first 3 winters(she caught it at the dr at 12 weeks actual age). ds was 36 weeks and is 5.5 months now but only 11lbs and the ped(who is antivax btw) is recommending her get it next month at his 6 month visit.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #10
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtwinmom View Post
My 27 week twins born 10-4 will get it. I have seen preemies and former preemies get very very very sick secondary to RSV and would never forgive myself if something happened to my boys. Since the shots are not formulated like traditional vacs (it is more of an antibody and is preservative free), I am less hesitant to give it.
This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DommysMommy View Post
That's why I'm not so hesitant either. I was just perturbed at the doc for not even asking me. They don't do the shots at my ped's office, so I have to figure out where we'll have to go every month.
Congrats on your twins. Why were they so early?
I was also perturbed at all the things the NICU PRESUMED was ok to do with my kids without asking... sugar water, dressing them for their first time without me there, giving their first baths without us there, just about giving formula against our directions. Frustrating for sure- and giving a vaccine would set me off (even if it was a vaccine I wanted them to have!).

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote