Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 06-01-2010, 06:22 AM   #11
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
My Mood:
Re: Childish and possibly hormonally induced rant... *sigh*

I can sympathize. We moved 18 months ago (two days after Maddie was born ) and I left my few real mommy friends behind, along with my playgroups ect. Luckily, through Milkshare donation, I met a really awesome mommy that has kids the exact same age as mine, and pretty much has all the same parenting beliefs as I do (CDing, BFing, AP, babywearing ect.) We have become really close friends, but that's about it. I chat with the women that attend my yoga & pilates classes, but I would not consider them friends really :-( We used to have a local AP mom's club, which was kind of fun, but the organizer quit, and things just kind of fizzled out. Forgot about the regular local mom's club, no one ever really participates much in that except for the mommy only events which really isn't my style. I almost always have my kids in tow

Kalle mama to Bella, Maddie, Gabby & my sweet little squish Ethan Alexander 1/4/13
Hunny Bunny Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Registered Users
My Mood:

Thanks ladies. We go to lots of play groups but it never seems as though any of the parents are interested in anything beyond that. Oh well.

Most days I'm ok with it.

Hopefully when DD is in pre-school she will meet some friends with nice parents! Thats how my parents met their friends.

We have lots of acquaintances. We make plans but something always comes up. Life seems to get in the way.

Thanks again. DS mommies always make me feel understood and accepted. Its nice to have a group of moms (even if its only online) that you can connect with. Keeps me sane.
~ Kelly ~ Married to my best friendJan 20 2007 ~
~ Mama to Abigail Sophia Dec 18 2008 & Duncan Alexander Sept 24 2010 ~
~ SAHM With USA PO for Shipping ~

WhiteRockMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Oh Mama! I just wanted to say I don't think this is childish at all, those are totally valid feelings and I totally understand. I too think you should continue reaching out, like another Mama said people just get really set in there ways and it's so hard to make yourself a permanent part of a new group. I am sure you didn't "do" anything. Just keep reaching out if you and DD enjoy spending time with them! I would also suggest finding and trying new groups, I know we have AP groups, BF support groups, la leche??? You will meet new mommy friends along the way!!
LeeAnn, SAHM to Carter 9-19-99, Lucia 1-23-09 and Beau 10-02-10
Lucysmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Wee Pea Knits
Registered Users
Formerly: Sara605

I have very few friends too - my mom and sister are basically it! I have a few more friends from college that I keep up with but all are out of town. There is one friend who has kids around DD's age but she is always really busy so it's hard to get together with her (even though I try!). I'm always thinking about trying to find a mommy group or something like that but never do. My neighbor is having a baby soon so I feel like I should go over there and talk to her and try and be a friend but I'm too chicken.

So I appreciate your rant and definitely understand. I think a lot more people deal with it than we think!
Sara , wife to Mike
SAHM to Addison (1/7/09) and Liam (10/27/10)

Wee Pea Knits
- Custom woolies!
My Gallery
Wee Pea Knits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

Just another post, and to let you know I know how you feel. In fact I've kinda been brooding on it the past couple weeks so when I saw your thread I had to reply. I'm not a SUPER-social person, but I've always had at least one or two close friends (and sometimes also a circle of more casual-type friends), wherever I've ever lived in my life.

In the past year and a half I've got married, had my first baby, and moved across the country to Kansas. Since we moved here, I've made no local friends. I still keep in touch with some of my old ones through e-mail, facebook, etc., but it's soooo not the same. And you know how it is....out of sight, out of mind. I kinda feel like the longer I'm gone, the longer the ties that bind me to my old friends are stretching thin and may soon break. I would LOVE to make at least one IRL, local, mommy friend. Maybe a neighbor or something.

To complicate matters, my husband doesn't really understand and doesn't see the need for me to have other friends. He's a great guy-- he's not controlling or anything about it, but he's very old fashioned, he was raised in a big family and they were just mostly friends with eachother. He never had a "best friend" so he doesn't really understand. And then, of course, whenever I mention it I think he kinda sees it like...."what, am I not enough?!" I try to explain it to him that it's a totally different thing to have girlfriends, and that OF COURSE he's still my husbnd, my best friend, etc.

But yeah....anyhow, my point is I know how you feel and I don't think it's at all immature.
Catholic wife and mother to my two sweet little girls, born Summer 2010 and Summer 2012.

coffeegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Users
Location: Pacific Northwest (NorthWET as I like to call it), U.S.A.
My Mood:

I'm with the rest of you. I, especially, have no mommy friends with children my son's age (almost 5 months). I'm going to be 40 in a month, and the reading groups etc. that I have attended are mostly mommies in their 20's and only a few in their early 30's. I have nothing in common with the younger mommies and those in their early 30's don't have children close to my son's age. Some days, I experience acute loneliness. DF has plenty of friends and goes out with them on the weekends while I stay home and do laundry and take care of our son. Like most men, my fiance is not much of a talker. He listens with one ear and can't relate to many things I share, because he isn't very involved in caring for our son. I'm glad I at least have my mom to talk to. You aren't alone and there's lots of us feeling the same way. Thanks for posting and letting me rant. It helps make me feel better to.
heaven1202 is offline   Reply With Quote