Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #1
seacat
Registered Users
seller

What do you eat?:)

I am curious as to what other mamas are eating for breakfast, lunch, and snacks. I am just wrapping up my first trimester, but all that sounds good are carbs and the scale is seeing the results I gained a significant amount of weight with my first pregnancy (it all came off), but I'd like to avoid that with this one. Ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisement

seacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you eat?:)

I've been REALLY careful about what I ate, this whole pregnancy, because I lost 50lbs right before I got pregnant... and have lost an additional 30 since becoming pregnant. I gained a MASSIVE amount of weight with my first and it snowballed over the years!

For breakfast I usually keep it light because I usually wake up super nauseous - toast with jam, or an english muffin. Sometimes some fruit. I usually have watered-down orange juice.

Lunch is when I splurge with calories! Sometimes I would order Greek (we have a restaurant right across the street) and get souvlaki and a greek salad. Most days its Peanut Butter and Jelly with some fruit, or leftovers from dinner, or a big salad.

Dinner is usually something on the grill - steak, chicken, sometimes hotdogs or hamburgers, paired with a salad or some other form of veggies. If I am craving carbs/starches, I'll make salt potatoes.

Snacks are usually some sort of fruit... clementines, bananas, apples. Heck, sometimes for a night time snack I'd steam some asparagus or spinach just because it sounded good.

Its okay to splurge on cravings every now and then.... I may or may not have had DH bring me a Big Mac at 9pm when he got out of work, last week but the big thing is to eat as well and balanced as you can, MOST of the time!

ETA: A big thing is drinking LOTS of water, all the time. 99% of the time, I am drinking straight up ice water... no soda or anything that can dehydrate or bloat you. But if we go out, I might get a Pepsi or a Lemonade just for something different!

Last edited by madebymommy; 05-17-2011 at 04:18 PM.
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #3
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I can't have gluten, corn, dairy, bananas, peanuts, salmon, chicken, turkey, eggs, or soy so I'm pretty limited anyway.

Breakfast I have plain oatmeal w/ flax seed and honey to sweeten w/ a large organic naval orange and an apple/carrot/coconut milk smoothie.

Lunch is usually a rice cake with sunflower butter and honey and some carrots and hummus or sometimes potato chips.

Dinner is whatever. My diet is pretty limited unfortunately so I don't have a lot of traditional meals. Tonight was oatmeal pancakes and bacon. Last night was a lettuce/refried beans/olive "salad"

Snacks I eat rice chexs w/ rice or almond milk or carrots or apples or oranges or pumpkin seeds. Stuff like that.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Aprilia
Registered Users
seller

I like to have a big bowl of oatmeal with fruit mixed in for breakfast (banana and pb today). Lunch and dinner vary a lot, as we eat a wide variety of foods, but particularly pastas with fresh mix-ins or homemade sauce. I love to snack on fruits, veggies, homemade breasds, and yogurt with fruit...and I snack a lot! So far, still underweight though, which must mean my body is using the calories, right?
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here is a list of healthy pregnancy foods from the Modern Alternative Mother blog. I believe that the best diet is one that is nutritious and no processed foods or fats. I've been eating these foods since I'm nursing and will continue to do so throughout the next pregnancy.
*Meat from pastured animals, including organ meats

*Raw milk and butter made from raw cream

*A variety of fish and shellfish (including soups made from fish stock)

*Leafy greens (with olive oil or another fat, please!)

*Sprouted grains

*Cod liver oil (if you take it, buy the good stuff, not whatever you find at your local warehouse store)

I usually eat eggs (with runny yolks!) for breakfast, along with butter and whole-grain toast, greens w/ meat or eggs for lunch, raw milk throughout the day, yogurt or kefir and organic veggies and meat or fish for dinner. Fruit I usually take as a snack. At least a few times a month I try to eat prepared chicken livers (easiest to find at Whole Foods and cheap!). I also make my own kombucha and yogurt. I limit grains to just a couple servings a day, usually whole wheat bread or rice, sometimes quinoa. I need to do better with grain variety...buckwheat (soba) noodles are great also.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
sugar_booger
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

honestly... this pregnancy I've eaten whatever I felt like, when I wanted I've gained 25 pounds and I'm 35 weeks, so I'm fine with that. I do eat healthy meals, I love salads with lots of stuff ie: spinach, romaine, chickpeas, cranberries, seeds, avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese, and if I'm in a really healthy mood I use a fresh squeezed grapefruit for my "dressing". I've also snacked on a lot of chocolate bars and kettle cooked chips
One of my favourite easy peasy and healthy breakfasts is a hardboiled egg and yogurt cup. Boil the eggs up ahead of time so you have something to grab when you need it and there is no work in the moment. I had an apple and all natural PB the other morning and it was soooo good!
the other thing that I find helps is really staying on top of my water intake, I have copious amounts of lemons and limes in the fridge that I slice up and add to a giant water bottle and it helps me want to drink more water

good luck! and don't be too hard on yourself
Old 05-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
A&M'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I pretty much eat what I want but I try to make healthier choices... I really love fruit right now so that's making it easier... I drink lots of water also. And sometimes add lemon to it so it's not boring!
A&M'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote