Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Bradley Method via book (& DVD?) for 2nd time mom

I'd love to take Bradley classes. The closest ones are 1-1.5 hrs away (in several directions). DH works 7pm-3am, except is off Mon & Tues. We have a 3.5 yr old we'd have to get childcare for...

Previous childbirth experience first:

w/ DD, I went into preterm labor @ 34.5 (Wednesday). Observed then admitted. Regular contractions every 3 min, lasting 60-75 sec...after hrs of this got epidural. Contractions continued but became irregular--3-10 min, mostly 4-7 min apart. Epidural turned off; stayed irregular. Dilation stalled @ 3 cm & 75% even though still contracting. Discharged home (Thursday)--they don't stop labor after 34 wks (baby might want to come out for a reason), but they don't help it until 37 wks (don't want to promote having a preemie). Called 1 time over wknd only--no checks.

Contractions continued. Intensity increased morning of day 5 (Monday). Scared DH b/c they were every 2 min (start to start), so he dragged me in, lol. Checked--3 cm & 100%. Sent home. On phone w/ OB countless times (when I hadn't been a PITA until now). Kept being told it wasn't real. Early afternoon of Tues, baby felt lower. Told to get checked, so called DH to come home & take me. In meantime, when through transition and felt need to push (before DH got home--yikes!). Fought this urge; arrived @ hospital 4:35/4:40 pm(fully dressed, etc). Checked & was 10 cm, 100%, +2. Too late for any meds. Told not to push A LOT while they grabbed the OB. DD born @ 5:17 pm.

So I've dealt w/ 6 days of preterm contractions (w/ tylenol #3 @ home) and ~ 30 hrs of true labor, unmedicated...although that wasn't my plan. I had practiced breathing/relaxation before this, but just w/ intention to help until epidural. I'm considering a planned unmedicated birth this time...So do you guys think that this prior experience along w/ the Bradley book and DVD might cut it if I practiced a lot at home?

If there was a local class, I'd be all over it...but 100-140 miles roundtrip, DH's schedule, and childcare for DD makes an actual 12 wks series more challenging...and I'm not a 1st-time mom, nor a 1st-time unmedicated l&d. Opinions?

Advertisement

Old 05-20-2011, 12:42 AM   #2
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

Re: Bradley Method via book (& DVD?) for 2nd time mom

Oh, & yes I changed OB groups.

& yes, definitely a hospital birth--my comfort level, insurance coverage, state laws/availability of a certified home midwife, along w/ medical concerns--group beta strep, GD w/ DD (only 14 wks now, so don't know yet) and history of pre-term labor/delivery...a little envious of a good friend's home birth pics this past Feb, but I've decided it's not for me personally.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM   #3
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well I'm cooking baby #3 right now, and for my previous two children I had natural hospital births, and baby #2 I was induced and I was on a TON of pitocin, but still no pain meds. The only birth preparation I did was reading the bradley book - that said some mama's may not agree with me, but I'm glad that's all I did. GL mama!
Old 05-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #4
kathygriffin86
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am ddc but i had my first with epidural and my second i wanted natural. I am in the same boat as you no one had classes at all. no natural classes of any kind around here!! so i got the bradley book and read it and talk to my hubs about what i need from him and i went to the hospital for them to break my water, they couldnt do it, so they started me on potocin and was so sure that i would want epidural, they kept trying to basically feed it too me, lol. i kept saying no! i was stuck at 7 cm on potocin for 3 hours because of her shoulders but i delivered naturally and because of the book and practice at home and my determination i had a very successful birth. I didnt rip as bad with this 8 lbs 12 oz baby as i did with my first 6 lb 11 oz baby. i think its because i prepared my body first and i could feel what to do better than just the doctor telling me. I plan all natural next time, i dont want the potocin, they wouldn't let me get up and walk which made laboring harder. I also have to say how much i enjoyed the fact that like 2 hours later i was up cleaning the room before guests came to look at her....loved it!
kathygriffin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
MamaCoffee
Registered Users
Formerly: babydazedesigns

I am currently pregnant with my second, and after a scheduled c-section with our first (due to breech presentation) my husband and I are reading through Bradley's Husband Coached Childbirth and the Bradley book as well in preparation for an all natural VBAC. I am a little disappointed that we cannot take the class because of distance/finances, but I do think that through lots of practice at home we can be successful. Are you a good "independent learner", meaning you can pick up things easily by reading on your own? Or are you more of a social learner where you need the interaction of the instructor and peers? If you are the latter, then it may be a bit harder, but I am sure it can be done.

Good luck momma!!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
zmo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used "Natural Childbirth: The Bradley Method" by Susan McCutcheon and it was awesome. I didn't take any child birthing classes at all, just read a lot of natural child birthing books. My DH and I found this one the most useful and informative, even had it in L&D room with us We had a natural, un-medicated birth in the hospital w/ 36 hours of labor and over 20 of that was hard labor!
zmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #7
TheFlare15
Registered Users
seller

I am a good independent learner and love to read. I finished my BSN (was ADN) taking all except one of my classes online. I think I'd be ok reading the book.

DH is very much a social learner--he does not do well staying on schedule/on task when left to his own devices. He is intelligent & has 2 bachelor's degrees, but I'm honestly not sure if he's EVER voluntarily read a book (ie not for school). I've known him almost 12 years. I know for sure since high school ('97) he hasn't read any books cover to cover that were not required for school.

He had no interest in reading the pregnancy books w/ DD. He WOULD listen to tidbits I'd share w/him as long as I didn't try to tell him too much at once. He also would look at the brief wk x things you can find on the computer. We took the hospital childbirth classes w/ her--I didn't really feel I needed them, but I needed him to have a clue, lol!

He would do better w/ the actual classes, even though he doesn't exactly like taking classes either. I think the schedule/travel/childcare will make him less agreeable, esp for 12 wks (& me too honestly). If it was local, I know he'd agree. I'm hoping it will be ok with just lots of practice and talking to him about the key parts throughout the pregnancy (due Nov 15, so I have time). I have considered a doula, but honestly I think I'd prefer it to just be the two of us.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, and I'm always open to more
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #8
zmo
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlare15 View Post
I am a good independent learner and love to read. I finished my BSN (was ADN) taking all except one of my classes online. I think I'd be ok reading the book.

DH is very much a social learner--he does not do well staying on schedule/on task when left to his own devices. He is intelligent & has 2 bachelor's degrees, but I'm honestly not sure if he's EVER voluntarily read a book (ie not for school). I've known him almost 12 years. I know for sure since high school ('97) he hasn't read any books cover to cover that were not required for school.

He had no interest in reading the pregnancy books w/ DD. He WOULD listen to tidbits I'd share w/him as long as I didn't try to tell him too much at once. He also would look at the brief wk x things you can find on the computer. We took the hospital childbirth classes w/ her--I didn't really feel I needed them, but I needed him to have a clue, lol!

He would do better w/ the actual classes, even though he doesn't exactly like taking classes either. I think the schedule/travel/childcare will make him less agreeable, esp for 12 wks (& me too honestly). If it was local, I know he'd agree. I'm hoping it will be ok with just lots of practice and talking to him about the key parts throughout the pregnancy (due Nov 15, so I have time). I have considered a doula, but honestly I think I'd prefer it to just be the two of us.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, and I'm always open to more
My husband is the same way, I would read it and just go over the "Lessons" in the book with him, or try to get him to read the important husband coaching parts. I actually got to check it out at the library first before I bought it to make sure I liked it, they might have it available that way so you can see if it would work for both of you!
zmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #9
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH read a few bits of the book, because he is in the military he was unable to be present at the birth of our first child, so when I was pregnant with my second I just kind of told him how it "all goes down" lol. When it came time for DD2 to arrive he was actually really awesome and supportive, he said he just followed my lead and his instincts and didn't worry about what anything or anyone had told him - he was awesome. It makes me think as natural as it is for us to give birth maybe that support position will come naturally to men, so hopefully you just sharing with you DH will help him too!