Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #11
honeygirl
Registered Users
seller

Re: GD testing 1st one ????

I didn't fast before my 1st test (as directed) but still failed. I had to fast for the 3 hr and did pass it.

I've heard that they lowered the threshold for passing the test so more people are failing the 1st one.

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
adavieau
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My midwife said for the one hour (the first test) just to eat normally and not have anything super sugary right before you go for the test. For the three hour (second one if you fail the first) they say to fast for 12 hours prior to the test so they can get a baseline (fasting) draw first.
adavieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
I wonder if there is something to this? I failed my first one as well after and passed the three hour easily, but got really sick. I'm trying to avoid failing this one because the three hour was such a nightmare.
The "cut off" for this test is really low. Like my office uses 130 I had 132, and "rules are rules" they had me do the 3H, which I am glad they did, because my sugars are out of control.

130 isn't really high... not after drinking that koolaid. But it's a little elevated, a totally normal healthy person would be able to get 50g sugar out of their system in about an hour, and 100g like the 3 hour in 3 Diabetes is so different for every one, it's really an art, (I am finding) and not as much a science.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #14
~Peach~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriket View Post
They all have different rules. But I am surprised they plain said no. The first one is screening. And a broad screening at that.if you have normal insulin function you should be able to eat a cake end test normal on hour later. I would test waaaay high, an obvious sign something is amiss.

I hate hearing people say they skip the GD test. Its o easy, and non invasive, and high blood sugar can have very damaging effects on mom and baby. Even if you just monitor one day a week of home for a couple weeks, which is a lot more poking than the test. The benifits outweigh the risks (I type as I sit in the monitors for my bpp for my own GD)

Any way, just follow their rules and report the tech if she was giving you false info. I'd stand there and nave her call the Dr. No reason to fiddle faddle. I remember my 1 hour was in the middle of the day, so I had had 2 meals.

Oh side note usually GD is more detectable in the morning, but mine is worse in the evening. Go figure.
Not very many doctors give you any alternative. I skipped mine with my last because what is the point of putting myself thru drinking that crap only to throw it all back up (I had HG). I offered to have them prescribe me a monitor so I could monitor at home which was an unacceptable alternative for them:shrug:

Sakura Knit YYMN giveaway at 100 fans!
~Peach~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:14 PM   #15
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both times, the highest my number could be was 140. With DD, it was 142 and I had to do the 3hr. It wasn't too bad, other than I was starving! This time around, I got a 120, so no 3hr for me.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #16
GracieMak'sMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacat View Post
I wonder if there is something to this? I failed my first one as well after and passed the three hour easily, but got really sick. I'm trying to avoid failing this one because the three hour was such a nightmare.
Yes, the protein stays in your system longer and doesnt spike your blood sugar all at once like a carb would do. . . example, if you ate a breakfast of eggs, ham and a slice of high-fiber,low carb bread your blood sugars would maintaine relativley in the same range VS. if you ate a breakfast of say, pop tarts and juice, the high carbs would spike your sugar quckly, causing you to possibly fail the one hr. . . just my diabetic
Old 05-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #17
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I got my drink and paperwork for my 1-hr test recently and it said not to eat 2-3 hours before the test. It was the same for my first LO about 2 years ago and I'm at the same doctor's office.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #18
Kriket
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Peach~ View Post
Not very many doctors give you any alternative. I skipped mine with my last because what is the point of putting myself thru drinking that crap only to throw it all back up (I had HG). I offered to have them prescribe me a monitor so I could monitor at home which was an unacceptable alternative for them:shrug:
Its a cost thing, meters aren't bad but strips are really pricey. If you were willing to pay oop they may have said sure, but chances are your ins would never cover it. 100 strips for me is $110 and lasts just under a month, about 25 days, so it is a large expence where the cool aid is like a buck maybe even if you barf three times three bucks, which isn't pleasent, but cost effective and does catch the majority of diabetics.