Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Angel89411
Banned

Not really nervous or worried, but I am. - Placenta on Cervix

So at my anatomy scan my OB told me my placenta was directly over my cervix. He just told me not to worry, it usually fixes itself before the baby is born. He then told me if I have any bleeding, to go straight to the hospital and tell them about my placenta.

Well, a few days later I was still trying to figure out what the heck this was all about. Not scared or anything, just curious. And I got Placenta Previa (sp?). I am still not worried or scared, really. I know odds are it will correct itself. I know if it doesn't, I could end up with a c/s. Surgery always makes me nervous, but doesn't really scare me much anymore. I trust my OB to do what is best for the baby and me.

What is bothering me is no knowing if it will even be an issue or not, kwim? Not knowing what is coming now. Why did I have to Google??

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Not really nervous or worried, but I am. - Placenta on Cervix

You have plenty of time for this to correct itself. Try to relax. Right now your energy and concentration is better spent making sure you are getting adequate rest/nutrition.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #3
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

How far along are you?

At my 20 week ultrasound with this baby, I had placenta previa... they did another ultrasound at 28 weeks and the placenta had moved up to the optimal position. I was told that previas are fairly common that early on, and that only 10% of women diagnosed in early-mid pregnancy will still have a complete previa at full-term.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
Angel89411
Banned

18w3d. So I know the odds are with me. I'm not scared of it. I understand the risks. It is the not knowing and knowing I will have to wait months to know for sure, ya know? I mean, if I had it then I'd be just fine. I would deal with it. If I didn't have it, great! But the not knowing...
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know what you mean... I just had to keep telling myself that there was nothing I could do. I couldn't make the placenta move, and I couldn't make myself forget that we were waiting for it to move, LOL! Did they schedule another ultrasound to check it? When they scheduled mine, I put it on my calendar and then kind of forced myself to not think about it... I wouldn't even talk about it because that made me anxious all over again.

Good luck, mama!
Old 06-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #6
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama.timms View Post
I know what you mean... I just had to keep telling myself that there was nothing I could do. I couldn't make the placenta move, and I couldn't make myself forget that we were waiting for it to move, LOL! Did they schedule another ultrasound to check it? When they scheduled mine, I put it on my calendar and then kind of forced myself to not think about it... I wouldn't even talk about it because that made me anxious all over again.

Good luck, mama!
No u/s scheduled yet. He said we will discuss it more next time (the 27th). It is not constantly on my mind. This am, I was more worried about shoes that didn't make my feet sweat.

Thanks, mamas. I know this didn't make much sense but I am a control freak, so it's hard for me. I just keep telling myself there is nothing I can do either way.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
GwenV
Registered Users

My Mood:

Mine finely fully moved after 30 weeks with my 2nd. Totally understanding the stress. The key I think is you know. I had an acquaintance and for whatever reason she did not know (did not know her well enough to find out how it got missed) Anyways, she never took any of the precautions and she did abrupt. Her and the baby were fine but apparently it was scary. The precautions I was giver were pretty simple, take it a little easier, no sex or anything big like that. ANY bleeding and go to the hospital. Best of luck and just take care of yourself.

G
GwenV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dou-la-la has a 4-part blog post about her placenta previa scare. It is a great read, even if you're not going through that right now. In anything, helped reinforce my belief that unless there are real indications of a problem, that doing lots of tests and looking for a problem is generally a bad idea. If you're looking for a problem, you just might find one. Many times they case a lot more stress, and then resolve themselves without us doing anything
Old 06-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd like to just throw out there that you (or anyone else with placenta previa) should definitely ask for a color doppler vaginal ultrasound just to rule out Vasa Previa. http://www.vasaprevia.org/ It is very rare but very serious and happens more often with placenta previas and velamentous insertion of the cord. I had this very scary condition (vasa previa) with my last pregnancy. It would have been a deadly situation had I not been diagnosed in pregnancy. Only 1% survival if water breaks. It can very easily and quickly be diagnosed with a color vaginal doppler. It is not my intention to scare anyone but to raise awareness for this condition that is so devastating but is SO easily detected if taken the time to do so. I wish it were just part of the routine 20 week anatomy scan.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #10
eracheld
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had it at my 10wk US and by my 20wk US it had corrected itself. Chances are yours will do the same, especially with as calm as your dr. seemed about it. I think if he thought it was severe he would've told you something along the lines of wanting to keep a close eye on it.

Scentsy team!
eracheld is offline   Reply With Quote