Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #21
mimieliza
Registered Users

Re: Champagne + Pregnancy = ?

It's fine! I chose to consume no alcohol in my first trimester, and had 1/2 glass of wine a few times during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters.

I don't think there's any reason to not have a few sips. I also went wine tasting several times when pregnant with DD - you are encouraged to spit out the tastes, which I normally think is really gross, but convenient when you're pregnant (and the designated driver).

Advertisement

mimieliza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #22
Ambystoma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilaryisinked
I think it's ok here and there. Just like with anything in pregnancy, I go in moderation. Tuna, bleu cheese dressing, caffeine...all this stuff I still consume but I'm not eating or drinking outrageous amounts.
This exactly. I also agree with the poster who talked about the stats. Even at high amounts than what she mentioned FAS is more likely but not guaranteed. Most of Europe finds a glass a day acceptable and doesn't have higher incidence of FAS.

I will have half a glass of wine or half a beer (when DH finishes a brew) in the 3rd tri and don't worry. My nurse friends don't blink an eye at it either.

I think the fearmongering comes from the idea that if you give an inch people will take a mile.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
Hillargh
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambystoma
My nurse friends don't blink an eI think the fearmongering comes from the idea that if you give an inch people will take a mile.
ITA. If a doctor said once and a while is fine, and that person was binge drinker, their version of once and a while might be completely off in what the doctor meant. And then bam, lawsuit. Bad apple spoils the bunch and such. I hate blanketed guidelines, but unfortunately in this day and age, it's almost always the normal route.

Sent from my myTouch 3G Slide using DS Forum
Hillargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 08:53 AM   #24
badhayrday
Life is Good
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm not a huge drinker but I have heard a half glass of wine or beer in the end of pregnancy and have even heard it suggested that women who are ready to go into labor but aren't in labor should have a warm soak in the tub and a glass of wine to relax. I think one glass of champagne is perfectly reasonable.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #25
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even the first OB that I saw in my pregnancy admitted that she drank wine a few times in her pregnancy. I really don't see the issue. I am a lightweight and usually don't drink more than 1/2 glass anyway, so drinking that during pregnancy, once-in-a-while, was okay with me. Wine is commonly drunk (and has been for thousands of years) daily, in moderation, in many countries. No one should overindulge in alcohol, pregnant or not.

I am pretty laid-back, but I figure that if it was such a big issue, traditional peoples would have known about it.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
THBVsMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
The stats on fetal alcohol syndrome go like this:

children who are born to women who consumed FIVE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Children born to women who consumed THREE DRINKS A DAY were likely to have mental development issues. (This isn't in one day but through out pregnancy.)

Therefore, there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy.

Does this even make sense? It's like saying because the Hiroshima bomb emited enough radiation to kill many people, don't get an X-ray. (I know it's not the same thing). The idea that an OCCASIONAL glass of wine will have the same as FIVE drinks a day is a fear-mongering tactic to keep us "little ladies from harming our babies" is what bothers me.

Plus if someone is consuming five drinks a day, they probably have a lot of other problems.
I believe that Americans are warned against any and all drinking because moderation seems to have skipped our society.

With that said, OP, I had 2 glasses of wine in my 3rd trimester with DD. Once during Thanksgiving dinner, and another on my 25th birthday, which just so happens to be New Year's Eve.

Last edited by THBVsMama; 06-08-2011 at 03:55 PM.
THBVsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #27
klevmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would have a glass of champagne at a special occasion in the third tri, no worries at all :-)