Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 AM   #1
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:
fearful sister due days in august

7-month pregnant younger sister, she want to one day give birth by sc even without a medical reason, because she afraid if giving birth vaginal delivery. But now she also wants to try water birth method.
I have 4 children, 2 vaginal deliveries, 2 sc. I do not have experience with water birth.
Are there any other opinion, what is the most suitable method for the fearful sister?

Advertisement

zavalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: fearful sister due days in august

Well I'm more fearful of a c-section for no reason then a vaginal delivery. C/s do have their place and reason, but there are things that can and do go wrong. I was unable to birth my first two in a pool, but my first one I was allowed to labor in the pool....pure bliss - I loved it the water is so soothing. This pregnancy I am planning a home waterbirth and am very excited.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanks meredith, your experience in water birth is so exciting. It'll give some new reference for my sis
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would strongly encourage her to try a vaginal delivery, a c-section is really not a good idea for no medical reason, it is not without risks. But also, she really needs to do her own research to make sure she is comfortable with whatever choice she makes about delivery. Water birth may not even be an option where she is planning to deliver, not all hospitals do it. I did labour in the bath for most of my two labours, and it was very helpful for pain relief and relaxation. I am planning a waterbirth this time, but I really would suggest having an experienced person who has done waterbirth before, not that you need a medical professional but I feel for her first baby it is a good idea to have assistance from a midwife or OB.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
pharmgirl13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a c-section with my first due to her being breech and a home waterbirth vbac with my second. I had bever really been in pain ever before having the c-section. Overall, the c-section wasn't that bad but the recovery was long and uncomfortable and I was fortunate not to have any complications, however my incision is still tender in 1 area (5.5 years later). When I decided to have my second at home I was nervous about pain but honestly it wasn't that bad. I kept remembering that each contraction was 1 step closer to meeting my LO. I wan't able to get into the pool until after transition. Once I was able to get into the water I felt a huge amount of relief. If I am fortunate to get pregnant again, I am definately having another water birth!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

I also highly recommend her to give birth vaginally, but it was her decision to do the most comfortable according to her.
Of course, she also consulted with her ​​gynecologist about the SC / water birth, I think she just needs encouragement from the people around her, including me, and of course the experiences from others, so she is more confident to try natural childbirth.
Thanks jen..
Old 06-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmgirl13 View Post
If I am fortunate to get pregnant again, I am definately having another water birth!

Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #8
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Does she have specefic fears about a vaginal delivery? Before you can really get her the resources and help to address these fears, you would need to know exactly.what aspects are making her anxious?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
zavalana
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnic View Post
Does she have specefic fears about a vaginal delivery? Before you can really get her the resources and help to address these fears, you would need to know exactly.what aspects are making her anxious?
maybe she was just a little traumatized, because she's had a miscarriage and should be in the curette. sHe also saw his friend was induced and saw how her friend was in great pain. that might make her feel scared
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
MeCo7707
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I will say my induced labor was crazy painful - but my all natural birth with my first was not. I was in labor for 21 hours...I danced and did a tia chi. yoga, dance looking mixture of moves throughout the night and once around 18 hours in I said...this kinda sucks. With my second while I was induced and on TWICE the normal amount of pitocin I remember crying and telling my DH that "this is not what labor is supposed to be, this doesn't feel right" with this one I expect a labor similar to my first - sure it's labor but modern drugs can really traumatize a woman - if I had it to do over again I would not have let them induce me.