Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #11
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Brady View Post
I take effexor but had to stop taking it because it makes my morning sickness ten times worse! I do well with it when not prego though. I would still be taking it if or wasn't for the morning sickness. I'm hoping to find something else that won't make me more sick!
OH wow. I have been pretty sick the last week. wonder if was still handing in my system? Im still sick but not the 4/5 times a day I take it once i deliver and through nursing and havnt seen any issues in my kiddos.

Advertisement

momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Mama_Destiny's Avatar
Mama_Destiny
Registered User
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,583
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I have been on Lexapro (for anxiety, and depression), and when I found out we were expecting again, I was really in a panic over it. Over the thought it getting off and getting back to that "bad place", and what could happen to baby if I didn't get off. I called the dr. who prescribed it to me, to see what the risks were, and I was told a small chance of birth defects, but told me that the risks didn't outweigh the benefits of me taking it. I immediately started weaning myself to 5mg, from 10mg, anyways. I had my appt. with my OB, and he was very reassuring that Lexapro was safe, and would not cause birth defects. He said the only issue is that if taken in the 3rd trimester, baby might be slower to taking the breast once born.
I had been feeling like complete POOP after trying to get off(partially it's due to early pregnancy), and I took my 10mg yesterday, rather than 5mg, and low and behold I got some of my energy back!
__________________
Destiny, mama of 5
Miciah(11) Kaydence(10) Devon(6) Dylan (3) &
Paxton (1/20/15)

Last edited by Mama_Destiny; 06-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Mama_Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
MyFourStars's Avatar
MyFourStars
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Roanoke, TX
Posts: 3,345
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

Zoloft is currently in the middle of a big lawsuit because (among other things) it was discovered that it can cause heart defects in babies. I took it during my second pregnancy and my dd was born with a hole in her heart (no family history of heart problems) and a murmur. With my other pregnancies, I chose to take Welbutrin and Lamictal and had no problems. I took them all the way to the end of the pregnancy. The psychiatrist said that the reason they recommend weaning off meds during the third trimester is because it's "uncertain" how much actually gets to the baby, but in her opinion if you're dealing with women who are predisposed to postpardum depression, you don't take them off their meds just before making them mothers. And she's right. Weaning off of heroin, crack, methadone in the third trimester? A must. The medication that keeps your mood from dipping into hopelessness? Not so much, not when you're about to be pushed to the ends of exhaustion.
__________________
Robyn, Mommy to Anna, 7 ; Ilse, 6 ; Gideon, 5 ; Merrick, 3!!!
And now Liam Matthew, 3-14-2010, a 4th vbac at 35w2d!

My Twilight FanFic-Finding Rose *Updated Chapter 13!*
MyFourStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
JustAugust's Avatar
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cloud 9
Posts: 12,049
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I don't have much time, but I took Zoloft (during 2nd and 3rd trimester) with my daughter. She's perfectly healthy. I would just try to take as little as possible. I was taking 50mg I think and then towards the end of my pregnancy I was having a much harder time and bumped up to 100mg.
__________________
Tiffany, Mama to the incredible JM (3.25.06) , NC (7.28.10) and EH (9.23.13)
We don't vaccinate, we kept our sons intact, we use cloth diapers, we co-sleep, we extended RF, we breastfeed, but we watch too much tv and I totally dig plastic! Everyone has their issues, lol.
JustAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #15
GreysBumatomy's Avatar
GreysBumatomy
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids IA
Posts: 1,736
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

I already anticipate my response not to be so popular.

I dont know about anyone else, but I was properly informed and cautioned by my psychiatrist and OBGYN and I researched the possible effects of remaining on my medications during pregnancy. I consciously made the decision that those risks do not outweigh the much more certain destructiveness of being off my medication with Cyclothymia and BPD.

It boggles my mind when people after the fact decide to draw up lawsuits when they had the choice between several medications and/or nonmedicinal treatment options and/or to opt out. Then again I hold several degrees in Biochemistry and Genetics, and understand how pharmacology and how anabolic and catabolic pathways work on a molecular level (moreso than most), so maybe my decision was somewhat more informed in that sense?
__________________
GreysBumatomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

You might want to look into eating a whole-foods, low-grain, no-sugar diet with lots of probiotics before taking drugs. Healthy animal fats (butter, cod-liver oil, coconut oil, lard from pastured pigs) are also a must for any woman, pregnant or not. Check out the GAPS diet (Gut and psychology syndrome) for more information. Depression is very influenced by the state of your immune system, which can be lowered when you are pregnant. Strengthening your immune system by way of your gut bacteria is the first line of attack if you are feeling depressed.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
jackyl08's Avatar
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 7,029
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

For many of us, it's not just feeling "depressed". I have actual anxiety attacks, complete with hyperventilating. I also cannot leave my house, can't communicate with people, which in turn makes my depression much more severe. I'm sorry, but altering my diet alone is NOT going to fix these issues. For ME, the meds were needed and I will not go off them. I think they are a viable option for women with these very real, very dibilitating disorders. I did the research, consulted my drs(OH, NO! Not DOCTORS!) and decided for myself, that the risks did not outweigh the benefits of the meds. My DD was born 100% healthy and at term. This baby is so far looking 100% healthy. The heart looked perfect on two u/s. The tech's exact quote was, "look at that beautiful heart".
Personally, I think telling women to just alter their diet or lifestyle does more damage than the meds. Mentally, having a bunch of people tell me how awful the drugs are and that I am damaging my baby and the guilt trips would/have had far more consequences than the meds.
__________________
Jacky, CPST and wife to Tim
Mama to my little red heads, Kenzie (5) and Maverick (3)Currently boycotting using the potty EVER
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #18
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
For many of us, it's not just feeling "depressed". I have actual anxiety attacks, complete with hyperventilating. I also cannot leave my house, can't communicate with people, which in turn makes my depression much more severe. I'm sorry, but altering my diet alone is NOT going to fix these issues. For ME, the meds were needed and I will not go off them. I think they are a viable option for women with these very real, very dibilitating disorders. I did the research, consulted my drs(OH, NO! Not DOCTORS!) and decided for myself, that the risks did not outweigh the benefits of the meds. My DD was born 100% healthy and at term. This baby is so far looking 100% healthy. The heart looked perfect on two u/s. The tech's exact quote was, "look at that beautiful heart".
Personally, I think telling women to just alter their diet or lifestyle does more damage than the meds. Mentally, having a bunch of people tell me how awful the drugs are and that I am damaging my baby and the guilt trips would/have had far more consequences than the meds.
Mama i think most of us are just sharing why we chose to go off/stay on the meds. One mom stated a diet may help. I think for most of us when someone gives us things they have done or were told we research it and may or may not work. A diet change may not work for you but could for another mom. You just never know we are all so different and want to do the very best for ourselves and our babies.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #19
jackyl08's Avatar
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NW Oregon
Posts: 7,029
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mOmof3 View Post
Mama i think most of us are just sharing why we chose to go off/stay on the meds. One mom stated a diet may help. I think for most of us when someone gives us things they have done or were told we research it and may or may not work. A diet change may not work for you but could for another mom. You just never know we are all so different and want to do the very best for ourselves and our babies.
Sorry, I am a bit touchy lately. I have been dealing with some bad anxiety issues and nothing is helping, not even my meds. My OB and GP are basically at a loss and are telling me it's just how my brain deals with pregnancy and stress.
__________________
Jacky, CPST and wife to Tim
Mama to my little red heads, Kenzie (5) and Maverick (3)Currently boycotting using the potty EVER
jackyl08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #20
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21,967
My Mood:
Re: What anti-depressants during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
Sorry, I am a bit touchy lately. I have been dealing with some bad anxiety issues and nothing is helping, not even my meds. My OB and GP are basically at a loss and are telling me it's just how my brain deals with pregnancy and stress.
I can relate and it doesnt help when its bad not preggo. I can very much relate
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.