Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Girls Rule This House
Registered Users
seller

Making Hemp Inserts

I just ordered a couple yards of hemp terry with hopes of sewing my own hemp inserts for use with pocket diapers. I've read that I need to wash and dry a few times before cutting/sewing. I can handle that part. But once I do that, what's next? Should I trace my favorite insert for a template, then sew a few layers together prior to cutting it out? No serger, so was planning to zz stitch around the edges. Do I need any other material to add to these layers to make an insert or can the hemp be used all by itself? All my dipes are pockets, so it's not even going to be against baby's bum. Also, what side goes on the outside? The terry loops or the other? Never used it before so I'm really confused.
If anyone has feedback, I would appreciate it!

Advertisement

Girls Rule This House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Making Hemp Inserts

I would make a template Using your favorite soaker, cut them all out and than sew together. If the hemp fabric doesn't have cotton in it you will need to pair it with cotton. I would say 4 layers should be good. You can sew fuzzy side in or out, which ever you like.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
scorpioscuba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for asking this as I'm planning to do this too. Is there any special type of thread we need to use for this or does it not matter? I know nothing about sewing.

If you shop online, you must join Ebates! All cash back you earn from shopping can go straight to your PP. I just got my first $20 deposited!!
scorpioscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
KimA
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use a cotton/poly thread.
KimA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Girls Rule This House
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the feedback. I read somewhere on here that some people prefer to sew layers together before cutting out, as it could be hard to catch all the layers while doing a zigzag? All I know is it wasn't cheap and I don't want to end up with a lot of waste due to trial and error! The material I bought is a cotton/hemp terry so I'm assuming that I don't need to sandwich it between anything else? I was going to make 3 layer inserts, (to save drying time) and can layer two if I need the extra. Wonder if there are any youtube videos. That's the only place I've yet to look.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
scorpioscuba
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Rule This House View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I read somewhere on here that some people prefer to sew layers together before cutting out, as it could be hard to catch all the layers while doing a zigzag? All I know is it wasn't cheap and I don't want to end up with a lot of waste due to trial and error! The material I bought is a cotton/hemp terry so I'm assuming that I don't need to sandwich it between anything else? I was going to make 3 layer inserts, (to save drying time) and can layer two if I need the extra. Wonder if there are any youtube videos. That's the only place I've yet to look.
Or you could try this technique to get the layers to stay together

http://www.candleonthehill.net/diaperinserts/index.html

If you shop online, you must join Ebates! All cash back you earn from shopping can go straight to your PP. I just got my first $20 deposited!!

Last edited by scorpioscuba; 06-16-2011 at 02:20 PM.
scorpioscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Girls Rule This House
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! I had also stumbled upon that Candle On The Hill site before! My order of Hemp Terry just came in today, and it sure does STINK! After I was diapers tomorrow, I plan on washing, washing, washing and maybe some more washing that smelly material. I think I'll measure it first, as I'm real interested just how much hemp will shrink! Also, it's in the shape of a tube right now. I've never seen that before. I'm guessing I should not cut it first, right? I bet that would cause even more mess in my machines. I'll let you know what happens to it, though!

Last edited by Girls Rule This House; 06-20-2011 at 10:56 PM.

Tags
hemp, inserts, pocket diapers, sewing