Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
hilaryisinked
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How likely is it that they can tell babys gender with one US?

Just talked to my sister and it took THREE ultrasounds for my nephew to show his goods. My DD, however, displayed hers proudly at 16 weeks.

Advertisement

hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It depends on the baby. I ended up with 2 u/s, though 1 was at 6w too see that the baby was actually there (which was totally unnecessary, I just didn't know any better!) and another at 24 weeks, and we could definietly tell it was a boy and didn't have to go back for another. We have a center here where they give you free u/s though, so that was nice! Otherwise, I don't think we would have gotten any.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #13
anahrose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only had one ultrasound with both of my previous pregnancies. It was very clear that they were girls. I am only getting one ultrasound with this one too.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:15 AM   #14
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

Most likely you will be able to find out. I would caution you against doing anything to "get the baby moving". Ultimately an ultrasound is a medical test to check on the health of your baby and your ability to carry them. If your doctor or tech for some reason wanted the baby extra wiggly they would give you instructions to that end, I wouldn't sugar up or caffeine up on my own. At DS2's anatomy scan some points of concern were found and the tech told me we were fortunate that the baby was calm so they could be seen. Best wishes to you for a happy healthy baby and I hope you get to find out who's in there!
Old 06-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
Urchin
Registered Users
seller

Odds are in your favor that you'll be able to find out. I'm part of a large due date club on another website, and there were only a couple of us who had difficulty.

Lucky me, I was one of them. I started this pregnancy wanting only a single ultrasound at 20 weeks.

I ended up having one at 13 weeks (due to spotting) then my anatomy scan at 19.5 weeks, and another private u/s at 20 weeks.

At my 19 weeks u/s the baby would not uncross her legs. The techs got a few brief looks, but really couldn't say for certain if it was a girl or boy in there.

At 20 weeks we decided to go to a private ultrasound to try again. Baby was in the same position, so the tech took a break and had me eat some chocolate. Luckily the baby moved enough a few times for the tech to tell us she saw the "3 lines" indicating that baby is a girl! Personally though, until the baby is born, I won't believe it.. lol
Urchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #16
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrazieGirl View Post
Most likely you will be able to find out. I would caution you against doing anything to "get the baby moving". Ultimately an ultrasound is a medical test to check on the health of your baby and your ability to carry them. If your doctor or tech for some reason wanted the baby extra wiggly they would give you instructions to that end, I wouldn't sugar up or caffeine up on my own. At DS2's anatomy scan some points of concern were found and the tech told me we were fortunate that the baby was calm so they could be seen. Best wishes to you for a happy healthy baby and I hope you get to find out who's in there!
I agree with this. Remember the anatomy scan is not just to check for gender that is the scan they use to check for all times of possible issues. They will measure everything from the heart, chambers, kidney's, brain etc and it makes it hard for them to get the measurements they need when baby is being too active.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
sasra_nu
Registered Users
seller

With my DD, she was bent literally with her knees in her face during the 20w anatomy scan, so it was very clear what she was. They were happy to print out a pic of the goods for me - I still have it actually. I've seen a lot of gender pics and hers is the clearest "girl" pic I have ever seen.

I am sure the tech will be happy to write down the gender and put it in an envelope for you. I know plenty of people who have done this. I would also ask them how sure they are. Sometimes it can be iffy, and you don't want to go buy a bunch of pink or blue stuff if there is any doubt. With my DD, I asked the tech and he said he was 1000% sure, lol.

I would definitely drink the OJ/eat the candy bar that previous posters have suggested. Get that kiddo moving around in there! Good luck when the time comes!!
sasra_nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #18
thaisa47
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For both DD and DS2 we only had one u/s done, at 20 weeks. For DD, we found out that she was a girl right there in the room, but we decided to have the tech write DS2's gender on a piece of paper so we could open it on Christmas Day. It was an awesome gift. DS1's gender was also written down and placed in an envelope, and we went out to dinner and opened it then. Back when we were a no-kid family, and did things like go out to dinner.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #19
___Krystal_
Registered Users

My Mood:

With my first son I only had 1 ultrasound around 18 weeks and they were sure it was a boy.

I Blog follow my daily life as a SAHM. I Earn Free Amazon GC With Swagbucks
___Krystal_ is offline   Reply With Quote