Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #11
USMCgirl_05
Banned

My Mood:
Re: What do you do with older kids while in labor/delivery with no family/friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMommyofmany View Post
Is this directed to me??? If so, the issue is our last baby was born at 29 weeks (my water broke at 28 weeks, we dropped ONLY our 2 youngest kids off at the inlaws so DH could bring me to the hospital)...well, I ended up getting flown by air ambulance to a NICU hospital 3 hours away and the kids ended up at her house for a week, until after I gave birth and we were moved to a Ronald McDonald house-DH was staying back and forth between me and his parents this whole week! Anyway, she complained non-stop about how it was the most horrible week of her life, how exhausting they were and even let my-then 19 month old cry himself to sleep at night cause she felt he HAD to be in bed before 8pm (this was his first ever experience away from me-he was so traumatized he still is very clingy when we go to their house and he's over 3 now...By the way, she is only in her mid-50's!!! Ugh is right! She now refuses to do anything with our kids at all, won't even watch the baby for 2 hours so we could bring the other kids to see a movie a couple weeks ago...but she's also the one who will lose it if she's not the first one contacted when the baby comes so she can put on a show at the hospital-I don't think so!!!
that is SOOOO horrible!!! OMG I don't even know what I would do, how did this woman ever survive being a parent in the first place?!

Advertisement

USMCgirl_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
ilovecookie
Registered Users
seller

I believe there is are 2 websites out there to find help that is certified with clearances. Care.com and citysitter.com.

My sitter who is a senior in college said many of her friends use the service and it's much better than looking cold turkey.

I am in a similar situation, I feel your pain!
Old 07-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #13
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Re: What do you do with older kids while in labor/delivery with no family/friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecookie View Post
I believe there is are 2 websites out there to find help that is certified with clearances. Care.com and citysitter.com.

My sitter who is a senior in college said many of her friends use the service and it's much better than looking cold turkey.

I am in a similar situation, I feel your pain!
I believe its www.sittercity.com

We recently had to deal with this situation. I am four weeks from DD and we just moved across country and know NO ONE. I have had a heck of a time meeting other mamas but there is a wonderful lady across the street who comes over to check on us frequently. She is a grandma (but very agile) and always has her grandchildren coming and going. She has been wonderful and has offered to keep the boys even in the middle of the night should I need to go in before my parents fly in [the day before my c/s at 39.5 weeks]. The boys are comfortable with her and she had a gated yard and toys to entertain with.

Can you find a neighbor, either with kids or a grandma who would love to spend time with them while your at the hospital? I know its hard to reach out for help but sometimes the right person just comes out of nowhere! I really hope your DH does not have to miss your birth.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #14
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

Last edited by OrangeBananas; 11-06-2011 at 08:49 AM.
OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote