Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had it with my first 4 pregnancies but not with my current pregnancy. It's weird. I totally expected it to be awful and was really anxious about it. I was armed with antiemetics before it started and it just never did. I threw up once in the morning but only if I woke up before 6:30am and it lasted about 2wks. It's the most bizaar thing. I only lost 7 lbs this time vs 10+ like usual. I usually get sick steady from 7wks to 16+wks. I threw up my whole pregnancy with #3.
I'm not sure if gender plays a role or not but they said this baby was a girl at 13wks. I'll find out for sure this Thurs.

Advertisement

Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #12
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: hyperemesis

I had severe morning sickness with the first....doctor never called it HG though.

I lost over 20 lbs & was on 3 zofran a day.

This second baby I have had HG since week 5. I lost over 20 lbs in the first 10 weeks, was severely dehyrdated & by week 15 I was on IV Zofran & fluids through at-home care.

I've barely been able to eat, been anemic, still haven't regained all the weight (though I could afford what I lost) and have just been miserable.

I do not plan to EVER get pregnant again.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie
I had severe morning sickness with the first....doctor never called it HG though.

I lost over 20 lbs & was on 3 zofran a day.

This second baby I have had HG since week 5. I lost over 20 lbs in the first 10 weeks, was severely dehyrdated & by week 15 I was on IV Zofran & fluids through at-home care.

I've barely been able to eat, been anemic, still haven't regained all the weight (though I could afford what I lost) and have just been miserable.

I do not plan to EVER get pregnant again.
Um yes, that's HG! My dr never called it that with my first 3 but I was referred to the HG nurse with #4 & #5.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Had HG with my first starting with daily vomiting in the fourth wk (was diagnosed, but wasn't offered anything aside from 8 diclectin/day). I lost 20lbs in the first tri, suffered through severe depression for a few weeks, and then around 18 wks things started to turn around. I vomited ~1/wk from that point til near the end. Ended up super dehydrated and vomiting bile again during labour.

This pregnancy started off better (didn't get sick til later) and I wonder if it had anything to do with breastfeeding at the time? By 7wks I was quickly caught up and vomiting everything - got myself on diclectin and zofran (which is HUGELY frowned on in Canada). I'm at 15 or 16wks now and if I go more than 2 days without zofran I will start vomiting everything all day. Here's hoping it gets better soon though.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #15
crunchymom2b
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

MsGiggles, why is Zofran frowned upon in Canada? I love my Zofran and can't imaine what I'd do if my doc said I couldn't/shouldn't have it while preggo if needed

Alycia + Tom = 2 Labor Day babies! Tommy (9/09) + Vinny (9/12)
Under construction: unexpectedly expecting in 2015!
crunchymom2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #16
Ten
Registered Users

My Mood:

My mom had it for all nine months with both my brother and me. She's never mentioned that it was worse with one than the other. I don't think they called it HG back then, but she had to be put on meds to keep anything down.

*TTC a sticky baby since Jan '15. Hoping DD1 returns to us!*
"Death can't stop True Love - it can only delay it for a while." - The Princess Bride
Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #17
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:
practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymom2b View Post
MsGiggles, why is Zofran frowned upon in Canada? I love my Zofran and can't imaine what I'd do if my doc said I couldn't/shouldn't have it while preggo if needed
Simply because Diclectin is available (and very safe) in Canada, and Zofran is class C for first tri, and class B after that. It's rarely used here, mostly just in hospitals and for chemo patients but rarely prescribed to pregnant ladies. I did my research on it from the HER forums and decided it was worth the risks this pregnancy, but my nurse practitioner, two doctors and my midwifery team were all very hesistant. Seems like it's much more accepted & used in the US.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote