Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Hospital VBAC mamas...

Man, hospital policies can vary greatly. As ours a heplock is required upon admittance, 20 min of monitoring when admitted, and then the amount of monitoring is dependent upon dr/MW policy. Their policies also greatly differ on how long you can go before induction, what constitutes a C, etc.

babylsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
My Mood:

I had 2 hospital VBACs, both at the same hospital. Some things that were required:
*IV in with continuous fluids
*Was not allowed to get up and walk around during labor at all
*Induction at after 39 weeks
*Constant fetal monitoring
*Epidural recommended in case of emergency c-section (so catheter also recommended)
Stacy wife to Chad
Mommy to 4 blessings
Our baby Sprout grew wings 11/19/14
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

There was a huge difference between the birth I was told I'd be allowed to have and what actually went down at the hospital.

As soon as I was admitted they insisted on breaking my water and placing an internal monitor on the baby and to monitor my contractions. They did this against my wishes as I bawled. The monitoring from the hall birth that you see in The Business of Being Born is pretty much exactly what I was stuck with. I only saw the nurse when she came in to hook up the pitocin and turn it up.

I was promised I wouldn't have to have any interventions if everything was going well. Nothing I was promised happened. The first nurse I had when I was admitted actually warned me to do as the dr's asked or they'd find a reason to c-section me.

All that said it was better then having a c-section and having to deal with that recovery. I'm not sure what we would do if we were to have another baby, most likely I'd shop around for a highly recommended homebirthing midwife who has experience with VBAC'ing moms.

mom to 5 boys and expecting a GIRL in January.
Melissa Laurel Fiber Artist
Ravelry profile: melissalaurel
melissalaurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

I had a midwife with both my VBACs and didn't have the "rules" that most VBAC mamas have to go through. My second VBAC was actually a homebirth attempt, but my cervix began to swell and so we transported for an epi, baby was born 10 min after I arrived so there was no epi needed in the end. I would really talk to the OB about "due dates" - both my VBACs went 13 and 10 days overdue. I required the practice to give me the full 42 weeks before we even talked about a RCS. I had an induction scheduled for 42w1d with my first DD because I had gone so long, but she decided to come two days before that! Babies come on their own time and rushing them out by a scheduled RCS or induction is not good for them.
TNmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #15
Googly Bear
Registered Users
Formerly: Leighznich
My Mood:

I can tell you my experience with my hospital.

My first VBAC, I got a heplock (no prob) and intermittent monitoring every half hour or so while my waters were intact. Once my waters broke (artificially, labor was very slow and I agreed) I had to be monitored constantly but I didn't have to have an IV until I asked for the epidural. Then they had to get a bag of fluid in me before I could have that. But once that happened, an hour later the baby was born very easily and peacefully. There wasn't a single complication.

My second VBAC (6 weeks ago!) was a little different. I went in knowing I'd get an epidural at some point, so I got the IV from the get-go. I was constantly monitored because it was the middle of the night and I was exhausted, and had no energy to walk the halls, so preferred the bed anyway. Once I got the epidural and labor slowed down, I agree'd to a tiny bit of pitocin. Once that started, I dilated in a matter of minutes and the baby was born very easily and again, peacefully. The hospital staff basically did what I asked them to do each time, without batting an eye.
DD 7/30/06, : DS 3/27/08, and not-so-baby anymore DS 6/7/11
Googly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote