Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #1
vjchristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Marginal Placenta Previa

Anyone have any experience of having marginal placenta previa and still be allowed to deliver naturally?

My placenta won't move

Advertisement

Sebastian Brian 9/9/11

High school science teacher working till I pop!
vjchristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Marginal Placenta Previa

How close is it, in cm??

I ask because I had marginal previa in my second pregnancy that was still close at 34 weeks, but far enough that they were willing to let me deliver naturally. Everything went completely fine, although I did have more than normal bleeding afterwards and some clotting, which required a couple doses of pit. No biggie though.

I did some research and found a paper (wish I could find it again) of a study where they looked at women with low-lying placenta at term. The women that were >2cm with no other risk factors or problems during labour had almost 100% chance of delivering vaginally. For the ones that were 1-2cm away from the cervix it was about 80% and some had bleeding during labour. For those that were <1cm away I am not sure if they allowed this group to even try to labour naturally, but either way I think the outcome was generally a c/s because of bleeding etc.

So basically, I think it really depends. Even at this point it still might move a little, so I would ask for another u/s to check, closer to your due date. And ask them what the specific measurements mean. I know a lot of hospitals have a policy of 2cm, which really isn't very far away at all, but some do want it even further away. However if it were 1-2cm I personally would at least try because it seems like the odds are good, and just ask for extra monitoring, and as long as there were no excessive bleeding going on... but discuss the risks with your doctor/MW.

Good luck and I hope you get the birth you want!