Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
Registered Users
Wwyd and why

We just found out that baby #3 is on the way... I am actually calling the do in the am and ask for testing my progesterone levels due to some spotting that I have had for over a week... Af didn't show i like normal so I tested and got a bfp!!!!!

Now my? is... Would you want to do a vba2c. The or go for another creation.... My Dr and the hossy won't do vbac that why I had second csectiojn... I had now found abirthing center a midwife that I would like to lo into and would love to go for a vba2c!!! I if it was you what would you do and why? tia!!!!!!

Br2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Registered Users
Re: Wwyd and why

I am having a VBAC. If this one turns into a csection, and I were to ever get pregnant with third, I'd try again for a VBA2C. Babies should be born vaginally. Period. End of converstation. Csections should only happen when one truly is needed, and having a prior ceserean doesn't automatically mean another is required.
Mommy to M (9/09) & G (4/12) & expecting Feb 2014
crunch!910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

Why was your first a c-section? That has a lot to do with attempting vbac or not. If it was for breech or failure to progress I'd say go for it this time.
Alicia + A = E + M and C
I shop at Mom's Milk Boutique
Using Swagbucks to earn paypal and amazon gift cards!.
lecialefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

Yes, the circumstances that led to the first c-section might be important. Of course, if you had a normal-sized baby, and had an induced labor on your back, but CPD was listed as a reason for your first c-section, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

Perhaps more important than the reason for your first c-section would be the condition of your previous scar when your incision was opened for your first c-section (ask to see the notes from the surgery) and your attitude. VBACs are most safely attempted by someone who is determined to work with the natural process of labor, and who keeps themselves healthy before and during pregnancy. Do lots of research and decide if you are in that place mentally and psychologically. Talking to a doula or hiring one for the birth can also be helpful.

I would certainly attempt a VBA2C, because I feel very strongly that vaginal birth is normal and better for babies and mothers than vaginal birth, for a myriad of reasons.
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk!
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Registered Users
My Mood:

I absolutely would. I had a traumatic unnecessary c-section with my first, and a VBAC with my second. I would never ever choose a c-section if I had another option.
Your risk of uterine rupture if you choose to VBAC is slightly higher than if you were a first time vaginal birther. I think the percentage is around 1.5 for a VBAmC. Uterine rupture is not the death sentence for mom and baby that some would like you to believe. It is dangerous, but some rupture and have no lasting issues.
Your risks with a c-section include (but are not limited to):

* Infection.
* Heavy blood loss.
* A blood clot in the legs or lungs.
* Nausea, vomiting, and severe headache after the delivery (related to anesthesia and the abdominal procedure).
* Bowel problems, such as constipation or when the intestines stop moving waste material normally (ileus).
* Maternal death (very rare). The risk of death for women who have a planned cesarean delivery is very low (about 6 in 100,000). For emergency cesarean deliveries, the rate is higher, though still very rare (about 18 in 100,000).2

Cesarean risks for the infant include:

* Injury during the delivery.
* Need for special care in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU).
* Immature lungs and breathing problems, if the due date has been miscalculated or the infant is delivered before 39 weeks of gestation.
That info was pulled from WebMD, so it's not comprehensive in the least.

I don't mean to scare you into a VBAC. I just think that our society has made cesareans "no big deal," when in fact it is major surgery. Other factors would play into the decision as well, obviously. There are other risk factors that could make vaginal delivery a less than ideal situation for you. But my opinion is that previous cesarean is not a good enough reason by itself to necessitate a repeat surgery.
Married to Nathan Mommy to Tobias (11.23.07) Malachi (11.11.2009) and Leah (3.16.12)
beaute_marquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

Honestly I'd be slightly more hesitant having a vbac after 2 c/s than just 1. Just because extra scaring and reasons why you had 2 c/s?

Really depends on why, timing between them and what the midwife/docs opinion is. I know many docs are not pro vbac so obviously that would be taken with a grain of salt.....

I had c/s with first, but then rest are vbacs. I do agree with pp that it's a lot got to do with how determined you are, how well you take care of yourself etc mentally and physically to help you do whatever it takes within reason to have the vbac.

So what did the midwife say about it and what were the reasons for the 2 c/s?
Mama of 4!
and precious little one 11/10/11
Leanbh is offline   Reply With Quote