Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Overcoming an oversupply.

Sage will help with reducing supply if that is a route you want to try. I would just be cautious with it if you do decide to try it. You can also try cool cabbage in your bra to relieve some of the pain and engorgement (worked great with DS1 for plugged ducts and mastitis).

I had/have oversupply issues as well, but things are much better now (7 months PP). I did block feeding, and did not get out a pump until I had to start building a freezer stash to go back to work. And I will admit that I secretly look forward to my Monday morning pumping session when I can get relief from the extra milk I build up by nursing DS all weekend. I pumped 10oz during my first session this morning, and my boobs feel so much better.

And one of the blessings that comes with oversupply is the ability to donate. I am donating to another mama in my office who came back to work at 3 weeks PP and has had trouble keeping up with her DD's milk needs. With DS1, I donated to an adoptive mama that was just across town. Knowing that other babies benefit from my milk makes the discomfort much more worth it.

thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Registered Users
Formerly: laylaeomommy

I had a bad over supply with my DD. I fed her in the side laying position and block fed. I had to quit pumping which was hard and just hand express enough so that I didn't feel like I was going to explode. I know a LC will have much more advice. It took me almost 4 months to get mine under control.
Mom raising three wonderful children.
L&A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Registered Users

So happy to read feedback on this. I have trouble finding information, and have been so engorged lately!
mrsmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #14
Banned - User Requested
My Mood:

cold cabbage leaves feel great in the bra. Instead of pumping can you try hand expressing into a towel? And then nothing at all? I had the same problem. For nursing, try leaning back against the headboard or on the couch, or in a recliner, and have the baby nurse tummy to tummy. That way she has to pull the milk back to swallow rather than letting it drain down her throat.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote