Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Hurricane Irene

So I live in MD which is currently in the predicted path of Irene. We had Hurricane Isabel several years back ('03 or '04), lots of people were without power for a week or longer whereas others only lost power for 10 minutes. Irene is supposed to be much worse for us than Isabel (though nothing like Katrina). Everyone in my area is freaking out and stocking up on like 4-weeks worth of bottled water and toilet paper. Grocery store shelves are completely bare. I'm trying not to give in to the hysteria of the masses, but I'm not stupid--we've got non-perishables and foods that we can eat without power (lol hotdogs, cereal, and non-condensed soup). Plus my husband was in the boy scouts and is more than willing to build a fire in the backyard.

With everything going on, it reinforces how glad I am that we're breastfeeding. No matter what happens, DS still gets to eat when/where he's hungry. Period. I don't have to worry about not having power to the bottle warmer. We have city water, not well, so there's a slim chance that we lose that, but even if we do I won't have to use bottled water to mix formula--not to mention worry about cleaning bottles (we've only got like 6). If we need to leave our house, I don't have to worry about bringing formula/bottles/etc., I can just pack clothes and diapers and we can go. Breastfeeding means one less thing to worry about in an emergency. It provides endless relief knowing that no matter what happens, DS's needs will be met.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

I remember Isabel! My BF at the time took me down to Fells Point a few days after it hit to see the flood waters. I remember seeing all the trash the receding water was leaving behind (especially needles!! Yuck)... it is very comforting to know your LO will be fed, and it is one less thing to worry about! I hope you stay safe!

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Kätzchen
Registered Users
seller

Breastfeeding does take quite a bit of worry off of my mind as far as caring, soothing, and feeding in the event of an emergency. I currently live in Florida, so I can sympathise!

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
teacherchalise
Registered Users

Agreed. Although I have to worry about my frozen stash!
teacherchalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hurricane Irene

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherchalise View Post
Agreed. Although I have to worry about my frozen stash!
I'm worried about that too, but I don't have too much of a stash to lose, just enough for one day at work, not like hundreds of ounces. I'd be buying dry ice if that was the case!