Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

Plugged Ducts and Painful BF'ing

I have had a few plugged milk ducts the last 2 days and am taking measures to clear them out but breastfeeding is so painful on that breast for the first few minutes. How many days should I expect this to last? It's getting brutal.

Advertisement

lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Plugged Ducts and Painful BF'ing

It shouldn't take so long to clear a plug in my experience. What have you tried? Warm compress before feeding, nurse that side first, aim baby's nose or chin toward plug for better drainage of those ducts, massage during feed and pump or express more after feeding to completely empty the breast. If you normally can take ibuprofen, that may help with the discomfort and reduce some of the inflammation. Try different positions for feeding. I used to get them on the armpit side of my left breast. I could clear them by laying down on my right side to nurse but lean over so baby could reach my left breast. Worked every time. You could also try nursing on your hands and knees and laying baby under you supported on a pillow.

If you end up with recurrent plugs, esp. in the same spot, see an LC and/or your OB/GYN. I suffered for 6 months with every 2 week plugs while nursing twins. It turned out to be caused by a cyst. Once I had it drained I never had another one.

Last edited by mommaagain; 08-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
lagoon66
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am doing just about everything you mentioned above except feeding over him. The heat compresses are working wonderfully and really softening up the hardened duct. Now I am just waiting for the pain to go away when I breastfeed. I will contact a LC Monday if it's not gone by then.
lagoon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hopefully it will be gone by then. I forgot to say rest as much as you can. Take the baby to bed with you for the day, and let him have a nursing free-for-all. Make sure you are drinking plenty. Go bra-less. Watch some trash TV. You want to clear the plugs mostly because they suck, but also to avoid mastitis. Plugged ducts are your permission slip to spend as much time in bed or on the couch as you want.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
SenoraE
Registered Users
seller

I couldn't wear a bra when I had a clog or for the day / couple of days after the clog or it wouldn't empty totally and I'd be back at square one. Also, try to figure out if there was a reason for the clog in that particular place, otherwise it'll be back! Good luck!
Old 08-28-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
Mommy Basel
Registered Users
seller

these are all really great ideas i hope they too work for myself
Mommy Basel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
Thismomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had some issues with clogged ducts for a short time and they cleared up within a day, but I also had issues with pain during nursing. It turns out that I had a yeast infection on one side. It may be that the pain you're experiencing has nothing to do with clogged ducts. I would definitely talk to an LS or your doc to see if there's something else going on. Good luck! Just remember, it can't last forever--the pain WILL end
Thismomma is offline   Reply With Quote