Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
Formerly: littlest_one
seller

My Mood:
Help Troubleshoot nighttime leaks

I'm really hoping someone can help me...

We've been fighting leaks with my son (28 mo) for a LONG time. When he wakes up in the mornings, and sometimes though more rarely while sleeping, he floods his diaper immediately and it leaks. I thought we had found a solution in Ecobumz bamboo AIOs but the last couple weeks we're back to leaks AGAIN!

I've striped them to see if that was part of the problem... but to no avail. I think his needs changed, AGAIN, with his most recent growth spurt.

I've also tried a fitted and cover in the past. Maybe the one I tried wasn't good but I didn't like using it and and it didnt' work anyway. I DO like the trimness and absorbancy of bamboo.

Here's the thing... I'm not sure if there is going to be anything that will work for him. He is a big time squirmer when he sleeps (moving, squirming, flipping, rolling, and often in fetal position or completely spread eagle). The back of his diapers (bum end) are always almost totally dry. It really is a flood in the front kind of thing.

Please, can you help me troubleshoot?

Is it the fit that's not working for him? Leaking around the leg openings maybe? Is there something that fits tightly around the legs that won't gape?

Is it "wing droop" and a few extra snaps might help?

I try to stuff most absorbancy in the front, but maybe that is what is making it not work... any suggestions on how to increase front absorbancy without sacrificing fit??

Feel free to make specific suggestions for diapers to try (not general "fitted" or "wool"... I need real direction here ). The next step is sposies at night until he's potty trained. My daughter needs to size up into his AIO's soon anyway so I figure now is the time to ask. Thanks.

Advertisement

My Etsy Shop ~ Get 5% off with "DSFIVE"
Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
LittleTadpoleDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #2
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help Troubleshoot nighttime leaks

I have not night diapered a child that age or size so keep that in mind. Our "never fail" solution is hemp. I use a Sandy's with a hemp doubler under fleece or a Happy Hempy with 2 hemp inserts (Joey Bunz) under a fleece soaker. I think the hemp absorbs REALLY well. My DS's diaper is always completely dry in the back, like yours, but completely soaked up front. But no leaks.

I think the full coverage fleece soakers or shorties helps alot. With those, you don't really have to worry about leaking around the legs, because the soaker holds that in. The fleece I have bought is from WAHMs on this site - PM if you want more info.

HTH

Last edited by mebl0901; 09-03-2011 at 07:38 AM.
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM   #3
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks!
I tried a fleece soaker over a fitted with zorb and still got leaks... but maybe it was the wrong kind of fleece? The ones I got were WAHM made too... but is there daytime ones and nighttime ones? How do you know which it is? It gets SO complicated! LOL

I do like hemp blends but find I need something else because it isn't as "quick" as microfiber or bamboo. I also find it stiff and wondering if that makes the fit worse?

Snap Belts for Preschoolers ~ Crocheted Toys ~ Custom Soother & Mitten Clips ~ Nursing Necklaces Facebook
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
It's hard to what is going on. It could be a combination of fit and absorbency. Since you ruled out repelling by stripping.

This is what I do at night. I stuff a pocket with one large Joey buns premium hemp insert (I think it absorbs more than bamboo) with a microfiber doubler on top. This worked for a long time until recently dd started leaking. I did some trouble shooting. It seems to be absorbancy was the issue. The fit seems to be snug enough and it's not repelling. I even bought new hemp because I thought I ruined my old hemp with bleach lol. So the solution for me was to add a wool cover over her diaper at night. I wasn't about to triple stuff her diapers or go on a quest to find another diaper that may or may not work. Anyway so far the wool is working great to contain any wicking or leaks. There are no more wet, smelly jps and sheets.

So my recommendation is just use what ever diaper was working the best and add a wool cover. Make sure the waist and legs are double knit since that's where leaks happen the most.

I blame all typos on my iPhone.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #5
LittleTadpoleDesigns
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks Sarah,
Are all wool covers the same or are there different ones for daytime or nighttime? Do they need special treatment (I see stuff about lanolin and shaving and have NO idea what any of that means! )? Any recommendations for ones to research?

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest_one View Post
Thanks!
I tried a fleece soaker over a fitted with zorb and still got leaks... but maybe it was the wrong kind of fleece? The ones I got were WAHM made too... but is there daytime ones and nighttime ones? How do you know which it is? It gets SO complicated! LOL

I do like hemp blends but find I need something else because it isn't as "quick" as microfiber or bamboo. I also find it stiff and wondering if that makes the fit worse?

I think there are different weights of fleece which I assume means how thick or thin they are. Mine are pretty thin but there are Dancing Bears fleece covers that have a heavier weight for nighttime use. Maybe that will help? Or maybe you could message some WAHMs that do fleece and see if they are able to make you a soaker/shorties/longies that are heavier?

Could you do bamboo on top of hemp? That way you have quick absorbency on top and then the super absorency on the bottom. I know may seem like a lot but my DS has a HUGE nighttime bum. It looks crazy and like it might be uncomfortable but it works and he seems to sleep alright so I'm sticking with it! LOL

Last edited by mebl0901; 09-03-2011 at 09:54 AM.
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
SarahR.
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlest_one View Post
Thanks Sarah,
Are all wool covers the same or are there different ones for daytime or nighttime? Do they need special treatment (I see stuff about lanolin and shaving and have NO idea what any of that means! )? Any recommendations for ones to research?
Im still fairly new to wool so im not sure if there is a night or day time wool per say. Both my covers are machine knit wool covers and they are very soft. I found this article helpful on wool and how to care for it: http://niftynappy.com/customer-support/wool/

I have this cover. It is a double layer knit in the wet zone and legs. It is single layer knit at the waist but once you turn down the top it doubles up and it works best like that. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

I also got this one in the mail yesterday (it took forever to get here). I love the color and the whole thing is double layer knit. http://sloomb.myshopify.com/collecti...it-wool-covers

If you decided to get some wool covers to help with leaking, you still might need to adjust the absorbency. The wool works great but they aren't magic, if you still have a large volume of pee coming out then that will need to be addressed. I hope this helps.

As far as lanolizing your wool you can just buy some Lansinoh lanolin, found in most drug stores. http://www.lansinoh.com

Picture tutorial on lanolizing. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...25.74286602577

Wool tends to get a little pilly looking. You can get a wool shaver to remove the pills. I have this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20

Last edited by SarahR.; 09-03-2011 at 10:43 AM.
SarahR. is offline   Reply With Quote