Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Newborn peeing through the side - ragababes

Ok, what am I doing wrong? She is only about 6 lbs, probably a few oz more now, and is wearing nb Ragababes. She sleeps on her side and that is the side that she leaks or pees through. It's always a hip that is wet, and I can't figure out whether it's from the waist or the leg.

She sleeps in pajamas and a swaddler blanket over that. I have been adding the insert that comes with the diapers, organic cotton and Duly prepped, but she will even leak through that sometimes.

I hate to change her in the night because she hates hates hates it, I am exhausted, and it's hard to get her out of all that and changed. I change her In the night when I hear or feel she's pooped, or when she is soaking wet all through.

I only have one xs size swaddler so I would really like to not have to wash it every day. I also want these dipes to work.

How often are you supposed to change newborns in the night? I believe when my boys were in sposies I only changed for poop or soaking wet.

Any tricks to avoid her peeing through the leg or waist holes? I am doing her waist nice and tight, actually over the star. I love that the waist does have some give with the strong thick elastic in back. It's tight but doesn't seem too tight for baby's comfort. The few times I tried the FB dipes, when you tighten the waist, there is no elastic at all and it seems cruel and too unforgiving to baby's tummy.

Advertisement

FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

Re: Newborn peeing through the side - ragababes

If I remember correctly, I had to wait til my daughter was over eight pounds for a good tighter fit around the thighs. Don't give up on them though. They are great and will last until twelve pounds and maybe even longer can't remember now. we had to wait a little while for our daughter to grow into the tots bots too.

Last edited by EssentialGoodz; 09-02-2011 at 08:05 PM.
EssentialGoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

Also I always used the doubler or insert that came with it and didn't have many leaks. While still nursing my daughter a couple times through the night, I would definitely change before or after feeding her. As soon as she was sleeping through the night...(still wearing the newborn diapers) At two months old -I didn't change her though and everything was fine. I will say though that on some newborn diapers you have to wait a couple weeks for the thigh area to be tight enough. The diapers I never had those issues with from the beginning were lil joeys and imse vimse preemie velour covers with newborn clotheez workhorse fitteds. Hang in there though... Your baby will grow

Last edited by EssentialGoodz; 09-02-2011 at 08:14 PM.
EssentialGoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
NCFlanagan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never seen this diaper in person, but I did check it out on line just now. It seems like you are having the same problems that I had with my DS2 and BG diapers when he was little. The problem is that there is no absorbant material on the sides of the diaper. If she is lying in on her side, the pee is running right to the legs, where there is nothing to absorb the liquid. Do you have any fitteds/covers or prefold/covers that you can put on her at night instead? Something that is absorbant at the legs?
NCFlanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #5
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I would head on over to the ragababe Facebook page, as I am sure you will get lots of help there! I had the same problem with the nb ragababes on my little guy.
I used the liner on top, instead of stuffed in, and I made sure to pull the front and back up nice and high before fastening, to minimize leg gaps. With a side sleeper, it is just hard because the diaper needs a but of compression to absorb...
I hope you can get it figured out. Ragababes rock!
As for frequency if changes, I changed my baby only if he was poopy.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Mama2LilBit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Both my babies, especially as newborns, got diaper changes every time they woke up at night. I don't think any diaper can stand up to nighttime feedings all night without a change. Newborns pee a disproportionally large amount anyway. Sorry I know that's not what you want to hear but I think it's pretty normal
Mama2LilBit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Someone asked this same question on the ragababe FB page. Joy said to pull the dipe up high and fasten it really snug around the waist to insure a good fit around the legs. I always changed my NB's at night though. Even in sposies.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:56 AM   #8
Electro
Registered Users
seller

Yea, newborns just pee a lot. I always changed my lO's diapers at night when they woke up to eat and their diapers were always sopping wet.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
FulHouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, thanks to all! I will change at each night feeding. Last night I did an experiment. Instead of using the ragababes organic cotton insert, I put a Joey bunz hemp insert (which is kinda "too big" for the nb dipes) INTO the pocket the AIOs have. And for each 3 hour sleep, she was still dry. S I did change her at each feeding, as per your suggestions, and also the wider hemp insert may have covered her leg holes better. You are all correct that she does have the newborn skinny thighs.

I do love the ragababes though. As easy as sposies. Maybe easier. I only wish you could buy as many as you want whenever you want.
FulHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #10
stephcrouse
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood: