Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Tripletmomtx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
10 days old only nursing for 10 min at a time

My ds Was born 9/9/11 and is now 10 days old. He will only nurse from one side for ten minutes and then falls off as if satisfied. He is nursing every hour. Everything I read says he should nurse for at least 15 -20 on each breast. Don't know how to make him eat more or if I should.

Advertisement

Old 09-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Connor
Registered Users
seller

If he is having plenty of wet and poopy diapers and his poopy looks normal I wouldn't worry about it. You can always encourage him to nurse longer if you want, but it could be normal for hin.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 10 days old only nursing for 10 min at a time

When is his next weight recheck?

I would try and make sure he is actively sucking the times he is at the breast. So babies are very effiecient. Others are VERY lazy. you need to find out which kind you have. IS abby actively taking in milk during the entire 10 minutes? Are you engaging baby? Lifting his arms, touching, kissing? (not roughly or annoyingly as some babies SHUT DOWN and look liek they are sleeping but really theya re tellying you to LEAVE ME ALONE)

After that 10 minutes, you should burp a bit (really its just to try and wake him up) and offer the second breast. What he is doing is very common. So make sure you offer the second breast.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
MNclothdiaperin'Momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

That's all my DS really ever nursed too. Apparently he was just very efficient. In the beginning it was worrisome to me, but he gained weight just fine, so it wasn't an issue. I would say as long as he's gaining weight and seems satisfied, I wouldn't worry too much about how long he eats for.
& DS (4/13/12)

MNclothdiaperin'Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
rbkincaid
Registered Users
seller

My girls did this and I was so concerned because my son took much longer.
If your baby seems satisfied and is making wet/poopy diapers, you're in the clear!
Keep an eye on the gas/fussiness, though. Babies who get a lot of foremilk and not a lot of hindmilk can get colic-y, and then you'll need to switch things up a bit.

Congrats!
rbkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
thekuan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My baby did the same thing. Apparently, as long as there is regular pee and bm, there's no problem. Some babies just are either more efficient, or don't like to eat as much.
thekuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

My LO nursed for 7-10 minutes every 1-2 hours, then dropped down to about 5 min at 3 months. 1 side only. But she was happy and had enough wet diapers and was gaining good weight.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
MadeofStarStuff
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have the same issue with my 2 & a half week-old! He is wetting & pooping up a storm though, & at his weight check, he had gained fine, so I am hoping he is just a very efficient nurser!
Old 09-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Isaac2009
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was just coming here to ask the same thing! My little guy is only 5 days old and will feed for less than 10mins and only on one side and then POOF he is asleep! Then about 15 - 20mins later he is hungry again...... He isn't pooping as much as he had been though, or wetting as much either. I know there is milk coming out though because I have to use a nipple shield and when he unlatches there is still a little milk in it.....I couldn't get him to latch at all before the nipple shield so I had been pumping and syringe feeding him so I know exactly how much he was getting and when, but now I am lost as I cant measure what hes getting.....