Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Trishalynn
Banned
seller

My Mood:
constipation?

ok my 7 week old hasn't had a bowel movement since early saturday morning. she seems to be really uncomfortable and wanting to poop. She is formula fed so I know that they can get constipated. Can I give her some water that was boiled and cooled or a little fruit juice to help? She's had issues with pooping since she was born, but this is the longest she's gone without a bm. Even when she was breast fed she had a hard time with bm's. I'd appreciate any advice, its really disrupting her sleep! thanks

Advertisement

Trishalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: constipation?

I don't know what anyone here would think of this...but mil told me they used to use karo syrup. Both of my boys were breastfed and then formula fed and when we switched to formula they had issues with constipation and then eventually got regular. Anyway, I used karo syrup. It was my understanding that you're supposed to use clear karo syrup...but my friend used the brown karo syrup and both work. I put a capful in a bottle (6oz or so)...for the first bottle, I'd use a little less...so you can see how it'll affect the baby before just jumping in with both feet.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I was told that giving a baby straight water was not good because it could cause seizure if they were under six months and drank too much......But you can mix it with things like pear juice gerber makes a pear juice 2 oz of pear and 2oz water thats what got DS moving when he couldn't....and karo will work too and babies love the taste! Good luck also babies can go a long time with out a bm and be ok.......I also give DS MILICON (SP) drops and he seems to feel better!
Old 07-03-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

I 2nd the mylicon and the pear juice...and I was also advised with little babies...to dilute the juice...equal parts juice to water. The apple/grape also worked for my boys...but they're not very tolerant to fruit...so I don't know if it's just them or if those are fruits known to get things moving.