Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-04-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

medicaid coverage of indidvidual lactation consultant?

In my reading I've come across several articles that encourage you to seek out lactation consultants even before baby is born so that after baby is born and released from hospital, you have someone to turn to for help.

I am on Medicaid and in Ohio. Does Ohio Medicaid cover the cost of an individual lactation consultant? I don't see any listed in my care provider booklet, but I also know that I went my whole first pregnancy with an OB I was unhappy with because I assumed medicaid did not cover midwives because none were listed, but found and am using medwives for this pregnancy even though they are not listed in the booklet... I was only able to nurse DS1 for 3months before all sorts of problems (clogged ducts, mastitis, and then a nursing strike) ended the breastfeeding relationship. I really want to breastfeed longer this time and it'd be wonderful if I could turn to a lactation consultant for help, but I've been told Medicaid does not cover them.

Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure Medicaid doesn't cover LCs . Which is total BS to me. But in Georgia, WIC and Medicaid have peer lactation counselors that are available for free. Maybe your state has something similar?

Also, have you looked for a local La Leche League? The meetings are free, and leaders are more than willing to help over the phone also. My LLL group has been the best source of advice and support... much more helpful than the LCs I saw, honestly. With the help of LLL, DS3 and I were able to overcome a tongue tie (wasn't snipped), GERD, food sensitivies, bad latch, bouts of mastisis... the list goes on .
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: medicaid coverage of indidvidual lactation consultant?

I'm not really sure, but I do know that the WIC program here has LCs for nursing mamas. If you have medicaid, you should qualify for WIC so I'd defiantly check into that.
How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I second the suggestion of seeking out support from WIC.....sometimes theh even have IBCLCs on staff that you could see free. Medicaid covered my IBCLC visits, but, I live in a difcerent state and also saw the ones from the hospital I delivered at which may have made a difference...
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
RealMommyLife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you qualify for medicaid, you definitely qualify for WIC. WIC has breastfeeding counsilers. They are VERY pro breastfeeding. They even give you a manual medela pump, and lanolin cream samples, breast pad samples and so on. I have 3 videos on youtube about WIC and breastfeeding. Here's the first one. I have 2 other too. Hope this helps!!! http://youtu.be/p9knJpdi4bo
RealMommyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
CurtsBabyMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMommyLife View Post
If you qualify for medicaid, you definitely qualify for WIC. WIC has breastfeeding counsilers. They are VERY pro breastfeeding. They even give you a manual medela pump, and lanolin cream samples, breast pad samples and so on. I have 3 videos on youtube about WIC and breastfeeding. Here's the first one. I have 2 other too. Hope this helps!!! http://youtu.be/p9knJpdi4bo
I heard that the WIC office where I live gives you an automatic Medela pump! I always thought that was great.
How rearfacing saved my sons life
CurtsBabyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtsBabyMama View Post
I heard that the WIC office where I live gives you an automatic Medela pump! I always thought that was great.
I think it just depends where you live, different ones do different things...also when I got my Medela PIS from WIC I had to sign a waiver saying I would not accept formula from WIC for 6 months...but, if I had not wanted to sign the waiver they had a Bailey double electric or a manual that I could have still gotten. They are so awesome...we did bi-weekly weight checks before and after feedings and I was constantly on the phone with the peer support person and LC at my local office...the LC was really helpful and also knew of a lot of other resources and the peer councilor was so sweet and supportive (she knew a lot too, just not quite the expertise needed for our intense issues).
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Also depending where you live, if you have a GOOD lactation consultant at the hospital you deliver - they initially help you when the baby is born, however mine for example..she made herself available any time I needed. I could call her cell/work/etc. I was on medicaid for a while too and also had regular insurance. They didn't really look at that...she just said if you have problems call me. You may run into something similar?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I think most hospital based ones do have free phone support...at my hospital they also sponsor a free support group where they provide all the same services as a consult except in a group setting.