Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
elimination diet experiences?

I just started on Tuesday because yds (almost 5mos) is very gassy and spitty. I tried avoiding certain foods, but it just didn't seem to be working. This doesn't seem to be making a difference yet either still tooting and spitting, dangit. I am planning on doing two weeks (only eating chicken/turkey, rice, avocado, peaches, grapes, carrots, and sunflower seeds, and drinking water) but honestly I was expecting to see improvement by now If there still isn't any improvement after an entire week, I'm going to doubt the gas and spit was caused by my diet...

Anyone have any experience with the ED? Maybe some insight?

Advertisement

have you seen the One Happy Baby Diaper Pattern?
karabeth05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #2
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I cut out dairy 2.5 weeks ago and it took a good week and a half to notice a difference. Good luck!
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: elimination diet experiences?

Different proteins (and other nutrients) can stay in your body and be passed through breast milk for different lengths of time. I believe dairy can remain in your system for at least 10 days and up to 2 or 3 weeks, so you'd definitely need to do the trial for a minimum of 2 weeks; I'd do it for at least 3 weeks, maybe more. Elimination diets for other causes (not just breastfeeding, but to determine a food intolerance) are usually done for at least 8 weeks.

Gassiness and spitting up in babies can also be unrelated to mom's diet. Sometimes they can be caused by the baby just having an immature immune system, sometimes from taking in too much air from crying or too much milk too fast while feeding. And there are other reasons.

I would definitely give the diet a try, but stick it out for 3 or 4 weeks.
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

it's been a week and things seem to be getting a little better :clap: he's still spitty and gassy, but not as much, so it seems to be paying off a bit i definitely have moments where i want to eat EVERYTHING in sight (like the cherry pie i wanted to buy at Sam's and eat in the car on the way home ) but as long as i don't let myself get too hungry i'm alright

Old 03-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
2DaneMama
Registered Users
seller

Yay!! Good to hear there's been improvement. I know what you mean about wanting to eat everything in site...just breast feeding alone has me like that. I did an elimination diet for about 8-10 weeks years ago to try and rule out some health issues. I thought it was gonna kill me. Hope you figure out what's the source of the problem!
Mama to one sweet girl, 2 ginormous pups, and due 5/2015 w/#2

I need some NB BG AIOs. Love trades, or will buy.
2DaneMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
karabeth05
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

8-10 weeks?!?!?! i can't imagine...i'm already starting on my list of things i'm going to add back in and what order

Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
TrishB
Registered Users
seller

I've been dairy and soy free for 4 weeks now and I can see a positive difference in dd. She is 4 months old. She seems happier now that I removed all dairy and soy from my diet and she is sleeping better It is hard sometimes, especially when I begin craving something that I cannot have. I just tell myself that my milk is way better for her than formula and if she is having this much trouble with my milk, she would probably have more trouble with formula (except elecate or neocate). I also keep telling myself that I can have this NOT I can't have that. It really changes your perspective on things when you focus on what you can have.
TrishB is offline   Reply With Quote