Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
lil_filly
Registered Users
seller

Giving expressed milk

I would like my 6 month LO to learn to take a bottle but I just can't bring my self to give expressed milk when I have fresh milk hanging there waiting on my chest. It is just less hassle then letting her struggle to figure out a bottle. I can't be away from her for longer then a couple hours without coming home to a screaming baby because she won't take a bottle. Which honestly I don't mind cause I don't like being without her for that long either. I guess We both need practice and time.

Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
CHMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Giving expressed milk

I totally understand how you feel. My hubs tried giving my 4 month old a bottle of expressed milk one day while I out and he flat out refused it and cried until I got home. Thankfully I was already on my way when he started getting upset. I would much rather breastfeed him but I feel like he needs to be able to take a bottle just in case I have to be away for more than a couple of hours.
CHMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:00 AM   #3
mamamu
Registered Users
seller

Same issue. We've tried all kinds of bottles. The best Luck we've had was just giving baby the bottle and letting her feed herself. She kind of chewed on the nipple and got about half an ounce. Cup feeding worked too, kind of, but it was hard to tell how much ended up in her belly and how much on her shirt. That was dad, and apparently it was enough to tide her over until I got home. The longest I've been away from her is 3 hours. We re going to try a straw cup next. She knew right away to put the straw in her mouth but doesn't suck. yet. Maybe you could try a cup, spoon, or straw? And just try a little milk at first so it won't get wasted. I've also thought of trying the pinkie finger with feeding syringe.
mamamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
amazon_jane21
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
DD and DS both refused bottles after about 6 months. But by that time, sippy cups and straw cups were being introduced, so I just put milk in their cups. I forgot to mention to a babysitter that DD wanted a straw cup, so she pulled out a bottle (they were at her house). DD would have nothing to do with the bottle and ended up really upset, so she took the nipple out and stuck a straw in - milk was gone in about 60 seconds lol.
amazon_jane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
e_roehm23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With both of my lo's we introduced the bottle no later than 2 mos old. The longer you wait to introduce it, the less likely that they will take it. That being said, both my babies had several nursing strikes which lasted on average 5-7 days! It was horribly stressful wondering if our nursing relationship was abruptly over. DD is currently on day 5 of not wanting to breastfeed You are right, though, it is good that they are able to take a bottle once in a while, I just haven't been able to find the balance of too often vs. not often enough. At one point, we went 1 month w/zero bottles, and we almost couldn't get her to take it again. With my next lo, I will not be giving him/her a bottle at all. Best of luck to you, though. I know all babies are different

My ISO/IHA http://diaperswappers.com/forum/show....php?t=1327857
e_roehm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

ds1 never had issues with a bottle but ds2 and ds3 wouldnt/wont take one. I had dh try the other night and he refused.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote