Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Giving water

My baby is 6 months and still EBF. I'm doing BLW and so far she hasn't had much. It getting hot here and I'm wondering if I should be giving her water? I also hoped that by giving her water in a bottle sometimes she'd start taking it for breastmilk so I can go do a First Aid course.

Advertisement

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
You Tell 'Em
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Giving water

As long as baby is EBF there's no need to add water especially if baby isn't on solids yet. When my DD was around that age it was around this same time of the month and it was heating up. When she did start to try some solids (months later) I offered 1-2 oz in a cup. My DD never took a bottle, would you be able to have someone watch LO while you do your course and text you when baby needed to nurse?

Are you a WAHM crafter looking for an easy way to track inventory and pricing? I <3 using Craftybase!
Looking to add an advocacy design to your own shirt? All screen printed transfers are for sale on my Etsy store!
You Tell 'Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't think there would be any problem with that. I'm pretty sure that I did the same thing around that time with my daughter; the summer after she was born was killer, and she sweats like crazy. Just be careful to make sure that she's getting enough calories otherwise, and not just filling up on water
Old 05-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
ikitakunai
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Breastmilk is all the hydration she needs and plenty thirst-quenching. If she's hot because of the weather, that's all she really needs to drink.

Also, at this age you may have better luck with a cup if you need her to take expressed milk while you are away. No need to introduce a bottle now. We had the best luck with straw-type sippy cups.
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
ikitakunai
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
From Kellymom: In addition, breastfed babies do not require water when it is very hot outside, assuming baby is allowed to nurse as needed.
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/baby-water/
BF #1-31mos / #2-29mos & counting
ikitakunai is offline   Reply With Quote