Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
uphillskiing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Too much sleeping

I know! Don't hate me.

Background is a big baby at birth who has established textbook nursing habits (a far cry from my DS a few years ago). She nurses every 2-3 or occasionally 4 hours through the day and has been extending her nightimes gradually to 5-6 hours. Last night at 4.5 weeks old she slept 9 hours (8pm-5am) without having a really big meal! My DS is three and has literally NEVER slept that long in his whole blessed life.

Anyway...I should be happy but I'm actually concerned with milk supply. Looking for those with experience with good sleepers. Should I be pumping through the day? She only ever nurses on one side at a time too. I'm definitely gong to pump both sides before going to bed now but need advice on how to handle this if she keeps up these great sleeping habits. I've set the bar low after our experience with her brother and I realize she might stop sleeping too! Just don't want my milk to drop fast (I had some supply issues with DS) so I'm sort of paranoid.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

uphillskiing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Too much sleeping

I don't know what the "right" answer is, but if it were me, I would get up and pump once at night. I have a good supply, but at that age I would have been paranoid. And also at that age, I would try to get him to nurse during his longer stretches of time. I would have freaked if DD went 4 hours during the day without nursing. Could it be that he's just a very laid back baby and needs to be prompted to eat at times?
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Liadan23
Registered Users
seller

i don't know the answer to your question, but my ds sounds like your ds.....and everyone keeps promising me i'm due for an "easy" baby who sleeps and doesn't cry when he's not attached to the boob 24/7. i've heard rumors that such babies actually exist, but it's hard to believe you give me hope! any day now his sister should be making her appearance and i just have my fingers crossed

anyways, i would say, that it probably wouldn't hurt to pump, especially since she's so young and sleeping such long stretches. at least until you know that your supply has evened itself out. i don't know about waking her to eat, but i think the biggest concern in terms of waking an infant is just in the first couple of weeks, and by now, if she's hungry, she'll wake up and eat. as long as she's gaining well and making her wet and dirty diapers, she's fine
Liadan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
lilmomma83
Registered Users

I would probably wake a 4.5 week old to nurse once during that period...bbut that's just me...
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #5
ajbailey89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would leave her. But I would get up and pump once.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #6
Connor
Registered Users
seller

If it were me, I wouldn't go longer than 3 hours during the day and 4 hours at night. And during those nursings I would be emptying both breasts.

If she's going 3-4 hours during the day and you're only nursing on one side then your only nursing from each breast once every 6-8 hours!! Breasts produce milk when the breasts are emptied frequently, and stop making milk once the breasts are full. No way I would go that long without emptying each breast, especially if I'm worried about supply and have had issues in the past.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DD has slept 6+ hours at night since she was 3 days old. She was also a big baby, nursed very well during the day, and cluster fed for a couple hours right before bed. I never woke her up, and never pumped at night when she was sleeping. She's now 6 months old and 22 pounds, so I don't think my supply suffered in the least. Based on my experience, I would say make an effort to get her eat a few more times during the day, and enjoy the sleep at night.

Last edited by sisu; 05-22-2012 at 12:43 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #8
uphillskiing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liadan23
i don't know the answer to your question, but my ds sounds like your ds.....and everyone keeps promising me i'm due for an "easy" baby who sleeps and doesn't cry when he's not attached to the boob 24/7. i've heard rumors that such babies actually exist, but it's hard to believe you give me hope! any day now his sister should be making her appearance and i just have my fingers crossed

anyways, i would say, that it probably wouldn't hurt to pump, especially since she's so young and sleeping such long stretches. at least until you know that your supply has evened itself out. i don't know about waking her to eat, but i think the biggest concern in terms of waking an infant is just in the first couple of weeks, and by now, if she's hungry, she'll wake up and eat. as long as she's gaining well and making her wet and dirty diapers, she's fine
Ours sons are definitely cut from the same cloth. Pretty sure he'd still be nursing all night long now at 34 months if he hadn't self weaned when I got pregnant. people used to say I was due for a 'sleeper' next or else that DS would be the best teenager ever.

So DD slept another 8 hour chunk and her diaper is dry after that stretch so you know it's a deep sleep. I did push her to nurse every 2 hours through the day and pumped the other side a few times. Supply might be decreased somewhat but if anything she can handle the letdown and quantity better. We are having fewer massive spit events. Which is nice for the laundry pile.

Thanks for all the great advice.
uphillskiing is offline   Reply With Quote