Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
lilmomma83
Registered Users

Re: Scared shes not getting enough?

FYI wth tongue ties...they can be very severely tied and be abe to stick their tongues out...the bigger concern is if they can lift their tongue about 2/3 or more to the roof of their mouth with their mouth wide open.

Beanie - sleepiness can be sign of tongue tie also...do to poor milk transfer.

Advertisement

lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
beaniesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmomma83 View Post
FYI wth tongue ties...they can be very severely tied and be abe to stick their tongues out...the bigger concern is if they can lift their tongue about 2/3 or more to the roof of their mouth with their mouth wide open.

Beanie - sleepiness can be sign of tongue tie also...do to poor milk transfer.
I didn't know sleepiness can be a sign of tongue tie! How do you make them lift their tongue to the roof of mouth? DD won't open her mouth wide. LC and Ped say she acts like she is sucking through a straw. I know even with the bottle she seems to have trouble...I have never bottle fed a baby this young so I am not sure what is normal. She seems to let milk pool in her mouth and it spills out the sides.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #23
lilmomma83
Registered Users

My DD did that too! A LC told me the same thing about her sucking! Usually babies lift their tongue when they are crying hard...when my DD would cry hard just the very edges would lift, even after her first revision it would only lift a little. You can try to force it up by pushing with your fingers underneath it, but that is really hard - especially if it is very restricted. You can also "sweep" younger finger under the tongue...you should be able to move it from one side to the other without anything stopping your finger - a tongue tie feels a little like a "speed bump"

Here's a video of Dr Kotlow diagnosing a tongue tie: his website www.kiddsteeth.com has a wealth of info, and you can also email him a pic of your baby's mouth and/or question and he is awesome about responding back and letting you know if he thinks your baby is tongue tied. He also said that a baby with a posterior tongue tie (sometiems called "hidden" tongue tie because it is hardto diagnose) if you let them suck on your finger (nail side down) most of the pressure will be on your knuckle, if they are not posterior tongue tied than you should feel most of the pressure on your nail.

Sleepiness is because the babies often have trouble transfering milk and the milk flow is what keeps them awake at the breast, also sucking and swallowing (even from a bottle sometimes!) can be very tiring for them. My baby had a lot of trouble with the bottle also...though at least with that we could measure and make sure she was getting something. Milk spilling out the size and dificulty coordinating the swallow are signs of tongue tie too. I would try and get it checked out right away...we didn't figure out things for several weeks with my DD and it was several months before we got the tie completely cut (the first guy we saw didn't get it all) and now we are havign a heck of a time retraining her (she's almost 6 months and just recently got it fully released).

Good luck mamas...I know what its like to feel like giving up every day..I remember telling myself, "just one mroe feeding - just stick it out for one more feeding"
lilmomma83 is offline   Reply With Quote