Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #51
eahcapemay
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: oops double post

I read this last night, checked back in for the delete and now for the double post.

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Sorry, but I teach in an urban district with over 90% free lunch. We do what we can to reach our at-risk students. They are on Facebook. We post test reminders, class reminders, and homework things because that way, our kids see them. It is a big deal to the kids to be part of their team's group. Our superintendent supports it, and is an active part of our technology.

If I post a Facebook message at 6:00 that says "Remember that practice cards are due tomorrow," I will reach most of my students, and have a much higher chance of getting them turned in. Likewise with field trip permission slips, concert announcements, and other special things. Almost every single one of my students is part of our orchestra page.

Social media is here to stay. Our district, and many technology rich districts like ours choose to use it to help our kids. This is the new movement in education, and if you aren't seeing it now, you will be soon. Our district just purchased My Big Campus, which is the school version of Facebook, and every teacher and student is required to have an account, and teachers all have online course material.
It's fine to use social media to reiterate what you already said, but not okay to require social media to pass a class.

I grew up without TV, some classes tried to require us to watch the news. You can't require me to do something that my parents have decided is offlimits for me. It was quite stressful. I didn't exactly want to make excuses or let the whole school know about my homelife.

so, yeah, use it to remind, but don't make it the only place that things get said.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #53
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom

Yes quite funny going to bring in more because how many dp get 45 replies.

**I do know how to spell...my iPod on the other hand does not**
Lol!!' I keep checking to see if it's getting hot in here. Disappointment. Lol
Old 07-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #54
jamieism
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
OP since you are clearly still checking in, I did not intend to bash you in particular by my post. I was responding to the tenor of the thread as a whole up to that point. I do think you could be more generous in the way you talk about the girls. There is something mean about the way the post comes off toward a bunch of girls - who are still very much children, even if they are by crazy for your boy. I am also pretty dubious about the idea that he is somehow suffering from the attentions of the vampire girl. But then I am usually dubious about parents who blame other people's kids for "corrupting" their own innocent angels. Doubtless I am sometimes wrong and in your case it may be true.

In any case, however, I was more concerned with others who jumped on the desperate for attention bandwagon and seemed to be happily bashing away along with you at - again - children.

My daughter at 12 is not on FB but I am not 100% opposed, more like ducking it until she seems more desperate to do it. Some of her friends are on it, some are not. Her school uses something called "buzz" which seems to have more controls and limited communities of access (eg students from a specific class). Or wait, maybe buzz was the old gmail chat thing that she used to do. She is also on some photo posting site and I did talk to her about not posting pics of herself. I probably don't monitor her as close as I should and I am reading suggestions here thinking I should learn from some of you more structured mamas.

In any case, though, I don't think social media is the bogeyman. Social media is just one more forum where stuff happens. In general I see parenting a preadolescent as very much about social etiquette and communication. (eg. No you may not call back a third time if she didn't return your first two calls. She either didn't get the msg or doesn't want to talk. Eg 2: if you don't want to talk with someone you don't have to answer the phone, but do not promise to call someone, and then not call that's rude. Etc. etc) this goes for social media too - helping them see how people will perceive what they do or do not post.

I always read the delete threads and would certainly click on a dp thread with a ton of replies. A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do!

Jamie. Anthropologist mama to three baby feminists, married to my best friend.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #55
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: delete

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post

so, yeah, use it to remind, but don't make it the only place that things get said.
Definitely not the only place things are said. But, some teachers using our online course environment (My Big Campus) do have required homework turned in online, and you do have to access it from home. Students without computers at home have to make arrangements to use the public library, come in early or stay late at school, or do it with friends/neighbors. We generally give at least a week for those kinds of assignments so families without internet access can make arrangements. We have several classes at the HS level completely online, as well as an online high school (Achieve Virtual Academy) in our district.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #56
beautifulboyz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awwww Beth, sorry you are being made fun of for changing the title of your thread. I am a shy mama and I usually try and not post about certain things because if I post about A, I'll probably get advice for B and C which I never even asked for lol!
Old 07-14-2012, 07:58 AM   #57
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieism View Post
I probably don't monitor her as close as I should and I am reading suggestions here thinking I should learn from some of you more structured mamas.

In any case, though, I don't think social media is the bogeyman. Social media is just one more forum where stuff happens. In general I see parenting a preadolescent as very much about social etiquette and communication. (eg. No you may not call back a third time if she didn't return your first two calls. She either didn't get the msg or doesn't want to talk. Eg 2: if you don't want to talk with someone you don't have to answer the phone, but do not promise to call someone, and then not call that's rude. Etc. etc) this goes for social media too - helping them see how people will perceive what they do or do not post.
My 10yo DS1 is on the cusp, so this particular thread and your thoughts on it are really hitting home with me and making me think. Over the past 2 years he has brought home phone numbers (one was written on his field day shirt that everyone signed) and email addresses-mostly from girls. He puts them somewhere random and never does anything with them.

We do have a couple of neighborhood BOYS who call obsessively (not to talk-they just want to find DS1 and play, erm, "hang out"). It's probably good since we're in and out and DS1 is at his dad's a good bit so they have to keep trying. But one, sheesh, he will call 5 times in a row and just not leave a message. I hear the phone ringing as we are getting geared up to go to TKD, answering machine picks up, caller hangs up, repeat ad nauseum. BUT his dad is a cop who works nights so he knows that the thing to do to get ahold of his dad is to call until he wakes up and answers.