Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
Formerly: TaReeses
seller
seller

Baby signing

I am just wondering about other who haves used it with their kids. When did you start? Which program did you use? Did it work?

I'm just starting "baby signing time" and my DS is 8 months.

Advertisement

BubBubsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby signing

We do, but we didn't start until DD was 16 months old b/c I didn't really know about it before. I *wish* we would have started a lot earlier, she has done soooo well!! We also do Signing Time, it is fabulous!! We will definitely be starting the next one much earlier. I've never watched any of the Baby Signing Time, though, we only have the regular ones. I was wondering if there was much difference, and it if would be worth it to get the baby ones in addition (for next baby), or if it would be just as good to only use the regular Signing Times. Enjoy!!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
seller
seller

What kind of words did you start out with? I've only watched first DVD and haven't done flash cards yet, but the words on that DVD are, eat, drink, cracker, milk, water, juice, diaper, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, cat, dog, fish, frog, horse and a few others I can't think of at this time
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
BubBubsMom
Registered Users
seller
seller

I also got mine off of ecobabybuys.com or mamabargains.com. Can't remember which but I got it for half off. Subscribe to their emails (if already haven't) and if it different you could get a good deal
Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
brookglen
Registered Users

We did baby signing time. It drove me insane, so once I learned all the signs the DVDs went away and I just used the signs in everyday use. We started when she was old enough to sit in the bumbo, and she was picking up signs by the time she was one. I just remember that she showed no signs for a long time and then one day it's like they all started coming. I guess persistence is the key. She's two and she still signs along with speaking.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've been doing Free youtube videos.

We didn't really think it would work till DD started to sign! She does eat, more, bath, milk, all done, diaper. We have started to use signs more when we talk to her. We are just amazed at how she never did them when watching the videos and then just started to use them! She is 1 year old. (She was delayed but is now on target. We only watched the videos and did it rarely because we were told it might help her communication skills by Early Intervention. I wish I had taken it more seriously! I will definitely start earlier/take it more seriously if I have another child. )

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Rdesonia
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD also signs while speaking. Like if she wants to BF, she will do the milk sign and SAY "ma ma". It is not at all hindering her speaking. She waves when she says "hi"/"bye". The signs are just extra words that she would not yet be able to physically say. She doesn't fuss as much because she can tell me what she wants!

My Come Swag with me! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/rdesonia
Rdesonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

We started sign language at 3 months, and by 7 months DD could sign for milk, all done, water, etc. She began speaking at 10 months and continued signing along with speaking.

We didn't do any specific program; we just knew all the signs as our friends had older children who signed as babies. If we needed a new sign, we looked online.

Last edited by HugeBabyBoy; 07-13-2012 at 08:43 PM.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
lil_filly
Registered Users
seller

My dh would laugh at me when I signed with my LO until she signed back. I started at about 3 months with milk and more. I add something new every month. She signed back milk for the first time for sure at 8 months. She is almost 10 months and signs milk, Dada , all done, and eat now. I use free internet resources and am consistent with saying and signing basic need words every time I use them .

Last edited by lil_filly; 07-14-2012 at 01:49 AM.
lil_filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_filly
My dh would laugh at me when I signed with my LO until she signed back. I started at about 3 months with milk and more. I add something new every month. She signed back milk for the first time for sure at 8 months. She is almost 10 months and signs milk, Dada , all done, and eat now. I use free internet resources and am consistent with saying and signing basic need words every time I use them .
Yes, consistency is key! Say & sign every single time, and encourage others to do it also.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote