Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: 3y/o vs Fruit and Veggies

One thing I read a long time ago is that kids at that age just don't eat a lot anyway and that it's not uncommon (or unhealthy) for them to just eat two (or maybe even just one) real meal a day-especially when you factor in the amount of snackage that goes on at that age.

I would just keep offering and pretend not not worry about it. I would also make snacks fruits/veggies instead of pretzels/crackers/whatever. And dip is magic at our house.

Melissa-Wife, mother to DS 4/02 and DD 4/07, DS 7/08 DD 7/13
ISO: my lost shaker of salt
mcpforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
Registered Users

Originally Posted by Pyrodjm View Post
My 3yo wont touch a veggie. Actually gags/chokes/vomits when forced to eat them. She is so picky I was convinced it must be symptomatic of some sort of undiagnosed allergy. I was wrong. She is the most food aversive child I've ever encountered that did not have some sort of diagnosis. It's not just veggies, she won't eat things that have other things mixed in ( rice and beans for her), not pasta with cheese or sauce, no casserole, hates meat and most fruits and so much more. She was bf'd till 20 months then stopped gaining weight.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Vitamix blender. My girls get a green smoothies for "dessert" on days when I feel their diet sucked, which for DD1 is pretty much everyday. At least they get a full serving of fruit, veggies and protein every darn day and it's more than I was managing before. They love the smoothies and drink them willing most of the time.
This is my DD to a tee.
momofdestructobaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

Seat a good example and get a great blender to make smoothies and pops. Try not to have and drama about it because I think that just makes it worse. Do you give him any vitamins?
Just in case.
MDever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Registered Users
My Mood:

LO was like this for a good three months when he reached 3.5 yrs of age. It was rough too as he would projectile vomit all things he did not want to eat!!

I make muffins and breakfast/lunch smoothies made with fruits and veggies and explain to him that he needs to consume some fruits and vegetables if he wants to grow up big and strong like his father and uncles.

It also helpes that his baby brother eats all foods with no hesitation. So when we would praise his younger brother our 3 yr. old would take a few bites simply to be in competition.

He is always given an option of whole fruits and veggies as a snack and eventually settled on carrot sticks. He now requests them daily and also gets excited when pointing out to us that he has tried a fruit or vegetable even though he claims he won't like it. When at the grocery store he is my produce helper (bagging items as we count and name them).

When he is hungry enough he is quick to accept one of the healthy options offered.

This might sound ODD but another thing that has worked very well for us is educating DS about bowl movements (healthy vs. not healthy). When he has consumed a well balance diet it looks as it should and when he skimps on eating his fruits and veggies it is mushier or he has diarrhea. Now, he is very proud to discover a "healthy poo" after using the bathroom. And when it is not, he will say, "Mommy, I need more vegetables today". LOL

DS also knows that he is not allowed a treat (a cookie, piece of pie or cake) if he has not eaten fruits and vegetables earlier in the day. When making baked goods I also add pureed/chopped fruits or vegetables.

I truly believe his picky period is related to his starting pre-school. Sadly, he was introduced to many processed food items and daily treats that are never offered at home.

Last edited by trulyprecious; 07-15-2012 at 04:48 PM.
trulyprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #15
Registered Users

my 2 yr old used to eat so much fruits and veggies, now he isn't really into veggies, but loves anything potato. He also LOVES caesar salad. Maybe for the purees, add them into pizza sauce? Or taco meat (if he eats tacos). My DS also loves loves loves dip, so we make sure it's good stuff like hummus or tzatziki. And fruit and yogurt smoothies, we do it so it's slurpee like consistency (not that he drinks slurpees, but the consistency is more pleasant to me than the typical creamy smoothie)
Jul, This used to be a great place
bluedaisyma is offline   Reply With Quote