View Poll Results: Would you EVER let your child have a FB or Twitter?
No, it'll never happen! 3 5.26%
Maybe, but very limited access. 9 15.79%
Yes, but I'd monitor the content. 45 78.95%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
kattayanna_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you EVER let your child have a FB or Twitter?

My teens have a facebook and twitter I monitor and I am also friends with them and with many of their friends.

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
Yep, when they are old enough. Although I'd imagine that by the time my kids are old enough social media will have marched on to something else, seeing as my oldest is not yet 5.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Yes! Facebook is going to so out dated by the time my dd (almost 8) is old enough.
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #23
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Not if she's anything like me. My generation all chatted on MSN or AIM or whatever, and there were the profiles that went along with it. I had super catty "friends" and was a total idiot myself, and there were all sorts of insults being thrown around online. So unless she is considerably more mature than myself, no.
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #24
willownz
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nope. Not until they can provide their own internet.

Kiwl Mum of three.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
HugeBabyBoy
Registered Users
seller

When my LOs are older, I see social media as window to viewing their relationships with friends (or foes), as much as it is to keep connected with family.

You can get a better idea of who the bad apples are and what your kids might not be telling you. I know quite a few parents of teens who have used it to their advantage and to address issues and generally learn more about what's going on in their kids lives (as in what their not being told happens at school, sports, etc.). Others don't care at all, and I would be aghast if my child posted some of those things, and discipline would surely follow.

For me, I think "monitoring" is just that. With each child, you teach and educate what behaviors you expect, you know who you might need to watch more or less, and who is a solid person with a good head on their shoulders and it's time to relax the reigns and let them walk with a little more independence.
HugeBabyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #26
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 16 they can
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes. It is a good way for me to see what is going on with my kid's friends. My children will learn about setting privacy settings, what is appropriate to post online, and I will be given the password. They will know that I will routinely log in as them to check things out.

If there is drama on your kid's Facebook page, there is drama with your kid's friends too. It is a good window for parents to see who the friends really are, and not just the happy face they put on when you are around.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 07-15-2012 at 09:10 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #28
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Yep. But we monitor him (almost 14) almost daily, and it's a privilege that has been revoked for inappropriate usage. Social media isn't going away, it may change formats, but will not every disappear. Children need to be taught how to use technology appropriately for their own safety.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #29
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColbyCreations View Post
I chose maybe..... b/c as a parent, I have learned to not say never to what I would do in any situation that I have not come across yet. I have been burned a couple of times .
Yea I feel the same my hubby spends lots of time on it & lots not really know or just met & consider friend after girls seem to burn him. My daughter likes irl people so hope no big want 4 her but who knows. I have friends on fb or twitter & 20 others & I don't have time for all of that..... I think kids need to be outside & active not waste time on all that plus them meeting old creepy guys looking 4 young girls...... I would highly monitor my kids & limit to stuff on it.... in upper almost legal age (I say now but who knows 4 real). I hope no interest.......
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote