Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: anyone have an awful time BF #1 and had success w #2+? long

I'm so sorry that you had such a hard time & feel so sad about how it worked out... it sounds like you tried so hard & did a great job!! to you & know that you did a great job giving your ds mama milk for the days you could!!

A new mama in our playgroup had a very difficult time for the first 4 months of nursing... it was kinda interesting what she was telling me her lc told her to do... she lived in new york & had a great lc!! because she had flat nipples, it led to a bad latch & she had to teach her son to push his tongue out, by putting her finger in her son's mouth & doing tongue exercises...

she also told me that her lc told her that in other countries they would have a mama & baby who were having trouble with latch switch with a mama & baby who have a great latch... so the baby (having trouble) could practice nursing on non-flat nipples & the mama (who's having trouble) could see what a correct latch was like along with the baby with the good latch helping to pull the nipples out... I know this sounds odd for our society, but I just thought I'd through it out there, in case the information interested you...

Advertisement

mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #22
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I EPd for my first son, but things went great this time. Like pp said, every baby is different.

I also have flat nipples, but you should never use a nipple shield unless you are under the direction of a LC because they can affect your milk supply.

I used medela shells for flat/inverted nipples for several weeks prior to delivery and then after delivery between feedings. They help to draw out your nipple. The only downside is that they do provide a slight pressure to the areola which can cause leaking (I leaked a lot) from the stimulation. But, after about a month I no longer needed them and we could latch fine without them.

I think the biggest difference between my 2 children was the support I got for the second.

Good Luck. Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing.
AmandaHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:51 AM   #23
AmandaHW
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to add feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. I don't want to write a book.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #24
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Way to go all you mommy's that just keep trying! Yes sometimes it is hard but still so worth it. I had lots of trouble with my first baby but I was fortunate that my mom was a LLL for years and years so I didnt give up. It was so worth it for me to continue but in all honesty the first 6-8 weeks were pure hell. I was lucky in that my second daughter was really easy.

Last edited by Shaineinok; 07-12-2006 at 09:35 AM.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote