Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Emma
Registered Users
seller

How long does the pain/soreness last?

DD started cluster feeding sev days ago (just as my nipples were getting used to nursing), and now my nipples are sore again. She's good at latching, so I don't think it's related to that. It really only hurts when she latches on. After about 30 seconds or so, the pain subsides. She's nursing so frequently, that I want to cry/cringe when she's hungry. I use lansinoh, and if the pain is really bad, I'll wear a sheild. I just want to know the pain will end really.

Advertisement

Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #2
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: How long does the pain/soreness last?

Some moms find that the shields can cause more pain, because the baby gets used to latching onto the shield one way, and then has to latch on differently (wider) to the breast. It may be that she has a good latch, but her mouth is not wide enough open for your breast. Try pulling her chin down when you latch her on. Initial pain that you are describing is usually related to a latch, even if it looks to be a good one...do you have someone that can watch her latch on, to see if there is soemthing that you are missing? Something else that might help--try rotating the place she is latching on..for example, nurse her laying down one time, the next use the cross ohld, etc. That way, the place she is putting the most pressure will cahnge, and hopefully you will get over the soreness soon! You're doing a great job, mama!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #3
bamamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

hugs to you! they go through that growth spurt, usually around 10 days

for me, the soreness went away at day 9 ish or day 10 with dd, and more like 3 weeks with ds. The pain was pretty bad...i remember just gasping and grabbing things when they would latch on...

ds was so slow to learn to nurse...he was lazy. so it took longer for things to straighten out.

i always tell mamas who are having a tough time to look at it like this...." If I can birth a baby, I can nurse once....If I can nurse for 3 days, I can do it for 7. If I can nurse a baby for a week, I can do it for 2 weeks...." And just keep going! If you really want to keep nursing, just hang in there! Before you know it, you'll be an old pro, popping your boob out and latching her on without even th inking about it.!
bamamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Shaineinok
Registered Users
seller

Your doing a good job mama! Hang in there it will ease back up and then not hurt at all. I second double checking the latch and nursing in different positions.
Shaineinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:35 PM   #5
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

I would double check her latch... make sure she's getting enough of your breast in. After two weeks, unless your nipples were damaged in some way (blisters, cracks, etc) pain should be a thing of the past... don't be afraid to get help if you need it!
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #6
marymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasterBun
I would double check her latch... make sure she's getting enough of your breast in. After two weeks, unless your nipples were damaged in some way (blisters, cracks, etc) pain should be a thing of the past... don't be afraid to get help if you need it!

good luck mama, your doing great!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
aschrimp
Registered Users

I had ds biting me and he did some serious damage. Once I got him to stop (mostly), it took about 3 or 4 days for the worst of the pain to subside (the cringing and gasping when latching). About a week and a half or so for everything to be back to normal. This was complicated by the occasional chomp...

Andrea - Mama to Lexy (9/7/05) & Serenity (3/14/09)! My Feedback: DS EBay
aschrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #8
vick
You know me; not much with the damseling.
seller

I don't really remember it hurting beyond the first few days ... can you call a lactation consultant to ask what they think?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #9
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check that latch! Big and wide. Make him??? relatch if it isn't wide. Yes, I know they have little mouths but they can open wide! I agree with the time thing too... Just keep going and the longer you do it you will be a pro!
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote