Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2012, 05:15 AM   #591
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: ~$5 Meal Ideas~

I cannot remember if I posted this already or not...so if I did...sorry...if I did not...GREAT! I am posting it in the $5 or less thread b/c I used leftovers and veggies from my garden. It makes a lot of soup so you'll have more than one meal (2 adults 2 teen girls 1 toddler here). If I bought everything I am sure it would be over $5. I love this soup, I make it whenever I can...even summertime!

THIS MAKES ABOUT 20 SERVINGS (you can adjust the yeild here: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/delicio...up/detail.aspx)

Ham & Potato Soup (I add tons of veggies too)

8-3/4 cups peeled and diced potatoes
3/4 cup diced carrots (I used baby carrots and pulse them in a food processor till bite sized)
3/4 cup diced celery
3/4 cup finely chopped onion (I just grate a small/medium onion and don't worry about measuring...easier than finely chopping)
2 cups diced cooked ham (I use leftovers so use what you have...I had 5 cups, so I used that amount)
8 cups chicken stock/broth (enough to cover all ingredients, depending on the size of your pot you may need to adjust this)
1-1/4 teaspoons salt, or to taste
2-1/2 teaspoons ground white or black pepper, or to taste
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
5 cups milk
2 Tbsp Thyme, if you use fresh, do a rough chop or use the back of the knife to 'beat-up' the leaves and release the oils/flavor (you can use dried, just rub it in your palm or between fingers to crush and release more flavor)
3-4 cups (TOTAL COMBINED) of any veggies you like...here's what I do:

Frozen corn (I use roasted corn from Trader Joe's)
Frozen Edamame
Green Beans (fresh out of my garden! cut to bite sized)
Zuchinni/Squash (fresh out of my garden! cut to bite sized)
Spinach (I add this at the very end to keep more color/nutrients) SEVERAL HANDFULS!!!

I think that's it...LOL

Saute celery, onion, and carrot then, combine the potatoes, ham and stock in a stockpot.
Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
Stir in the salt and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add thyme right before adding flour then whisk in flour, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #592
cassmartinez
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Easy chicken curry and rice:

1 can of chicken breast (or you can use leftover chicken)
2 cans cream of chicken soup
milk
1 small tub sour cream
curry powder to taste
whatever kind of cooked rice you want, you can even use pasta(egg noodles work good).

Add chicken, soups, a soup can of milk, and sour cream to a large skillet and stir until blended well. Next add the curry powder, I like a lot, but you can add it to taste. Let it simmer on med/low until thoroughly heated. Spoon over the rice/pasta.
I made this tonight but I just pan grilled a few chicken breasts I had in the freezer, took them out of the pan then added a can of cream of mushroom to the hot pan and a good couple of scoops of sour cream, added the curry powder and cooked that up, it made a good "gravy" we served the chicken over rice then topped with the gravy, it was SOOO good.
cassmartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #593
hsingscrapper
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopka7224 View Post
Super simple tuna Casserole

2 boxes of premium macaroni (the kind this the sauce not powder) $3
Cook as normal use only 1 cheese sauce pack.1/2 cup of shreded parmesan cheese (optional)
Add 2 cans of tuna. $1
1 can of peas. .50
I serve with a crusty bread (or crackers) and fresh fruit. Feeds 4-6 adults.

My mom used to make something similar. She used egg noodles, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans of peas, and 2 cans of tuna. She would drain one can of peas and use the liquid from the other can to break up the soup.

I use cream of celery and frozen peas, about a cup. I don't boil the peas but put them in the strainer and pour the hot pasta and water over them to lightly cook them. Stir everything together and heat through. Feeds 4-6.

Hi, btw.
hsingscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #594
stephy2241
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great ideas!!!
stephy2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #595
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

bumping for any new ideas??
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #596
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #597
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I forgot to thaw out hamburget meat last week and made meatless goulash (sp?)
Just pasta-$1
3 boulion cubes-$.05 cents
corn-$.50-$1
quart bag of frozen tomatoes from garden-$0
For protein I decided to add some black beans-$1 What an awsome idea.

It actually turned out to be more like a soup because the boys wanted the juices left in in.
Max-$3
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #598
Lolobug
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Bump
Lolobug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:11 AM   #599
menthomas
Registered Users
seller