Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
mommajewels's Avatar
mommajewels
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,371
Re: best time for anatomy scan

The tech in my midwifes office absolutely won't do an anatomy scan before the 20th week. She will preform ultrasounds for other reasons of course, but not the anatomy scan. I've grown to know her quite well over 8 years & 6 pregnancies and she says that 20 weeks is the optimal time because 1) most babies have hit that "peak" development they need to have reached in order for her to see what she needs regarding their brain, heart, kidneys, bladder, stomach, etc. and 2) while they're normally at that peak development, they're not too big to where it's hard for her to get those pictures & measurements she needs.

She said when she was doing them earlier than 20 weeks, a lot of time the women would have to come back later because their baby wasn't developed in certain areas enough for her to be comfortable with what she was seeing or get the right shots she needed to complete the a/s.. so that caused them (the mom) unnecessary worry over X amount of weeks until the ultrasound was done again and it was determined baby was fine, he/she just wasn't developed enough prior to then.

I totally understand why the one woman gave the other woman a "look" when she said 17wks and they're "doing them ealier" now. I'd have given her a side eye, too. I'd also be willing to bet she will be one of those women who has to go back to be rescanned. So much development happens between 17 & 20 weeks.

Advertisement

__________________
I'm Julie. I'm a lucky wife to Micheal and a SUPER blessed mama of 5! Jordyn (12.21.04) Preston (4.10.06) Kyson (6.24.07) Gavin (12.18.08) and Londyn. (4.19.10)
Expecting Emersyn Jewel in March 2013!
mommajewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
itiswhatitis1984's Avatar
itiswhatitis1984
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 499
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sweets
I've always heard (and had mine done) b/t 18-20 wks
This is what I was told too. The tech explained that if I wait till closer to 20 weeks we will have a better chance of seeing if we are having a boy or girl.
itiswhatitis1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
songbird516's Avatar
songbird516
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 6,164
My Mood:
Re: best time for anatomy scan

Mine were both around 21 weeks, I think. It wouldn't surprise me if some offices wanted them earlier in case there was something found and parents wanted to terminate, though. That was my first thought.
__________________
Sara- mommy to Claire (01/10) and Micah (3/12) and someone new (10/14)
Birth doula and life-long student of Everything! Need a doula in the central VA area? Let's talk! www.beyondbirthsupport.com
songbird516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: best time for anatomy scan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
20 weeks is the optimal time because 1) most babies have hit that "peak" development they need to have reached in order for her to see what she needs regarding their brain, heart, kidneys, bladder, stomach, etc. and 2) while they're normally at that peak development, they're not too big to where it's hard for her to get those pictures & measurements she needs.


I've heard 18-24 weeks. By, say, somewhere from 18-20 weeks baby should be completely done forming everything (not to say everything is able to function, but what is going to be there, is). But if dates are off a bit, 18 weeks could actually only be 16-17 weeks - and that could make a big difference in development in for baby.

After that point, it's not that baby wouldn't be fully developed, but that baby would be getting big enough to get squished in there and measuring is difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if some offices wanted them earlier in case there was something found and parents wanted to terminate, though. That was my first thought.
Unfortunately, that is my thought, too.
Like I said, though, if dates are off just a bit, an u/s at what should be 17-18 weeks could actually be showing an earlier baby - what if baby was long/tall and happened to measure size-wise for the "right" gestational age, but just wasn't actually quite there and hadn't fully developed things it needed - what if that led to a misdiagnosis... and the parents ended up aborting a baby that actually was totally healthy and normal, just had impatient parents.

My u/s is on Friday - I'll be 19+5. I think I'm okay/comfortable with it being before 20 weeks (though ever so slightly, I know). I mean, at this point 2 days shouldn't make, really, any difference.
I'm just for a healthy Hiccup in there.
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
RunawayBunny's Avatar
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3,161
Re: best time for anatomy scan

Thanks! You were all kind of my outlet because I wanted to talk about it more with the ladies at the meeting, but felt it wasn't the right timing/place (LLL meeting with lots of first time pregnant moms, unsure of breastfeeding/parenting). I didn't want to call her out and was afraid that no matter how I asked more about it, it would come off wrong, like I was questioning her judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommajewels View Post
The tech in my midwifes office absolutely won't do an anatomy scan before the 20th week. She will preform ultrasounds for other reasons of course, but not the anatomy scan. I've grown to know her quite well over 8 years & 6 pregnancies and she says that 20 weeks is the optimal time because 1) most babies have hit that "peak" development they need to have reached in order for her to see what she needs regarding their brain, heart, kidneys, bladder, stomach, etc. and 2) while they're normally at that peak development, they're not too big to where it's hard for her to get those pictures & measurements she needs.
OK, this is kind of what I remembered DS's OB saying something about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

My u/s is on Friday - I'll be 19+5. I think I'm okay/comfortable with it being before 20 weeks (though ever so slightly, I know). I mean, at this point 2 days shouldn't make, really, any difference.
I'm just for a healthy Hiccup in there.
I pray every day for you and Hiccup. I think you are going to get very good news on Friday. =) And I'd totally feel fine with 19w5d, too. That was actually the exact day and week I was originially planning on, but doc decided to line it up with my appt. Ah well. Do we have the same due date and I just never realized it?
__________________
Meg, Momma to Joey (Feb 2010)
RunawayBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
canadianbakers's Avatar
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 9,221
My Mood:
Re: best time for anatomy scan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I pray every day for you and Hiccup. I think you are going to get very good news on Friday. =) And I'd totally feel fine with 19w5d, too. That was actually the exact day and week I was originially planning on, but doc decided to line it up with my appt. Ah well. Do we have the same due date and I just never realized it?
Aww, thanks Meg. It means a lot to have care and support on here
I think all my other u/s's were right at/around 20 weeks - within a day or 2 either side. And, really, I don't think there's going to be nothing showing on Friday that would suddenly be there a few days later, kwim?

April 14th? That would be silly not to have realized that
__________________
~Elena~
Momma to R (12), Z (10), I (8), L (4), P (2) & J (Apr 14, 2015)
remembering Elliana Lucy (2.7.12)
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.