Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:32 AM   #11
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Nintendo DSi or 3DS?

so - you really can't play the 3ds games on a dsi? I thought you could play them just the 3d feature wouldn't work?

anywho - I was going to get our 5 yr old DS a nintendo DSi XL - our older DD has a 3ds and I figure if they want to switch around to play a specific game they can. I HATE the 3d feature, hurts my head. Our Wal-MArt still has the DSi XL for $129 and it has some games already loaded on it too (brainage ones which I LOVE)

Advertisement

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here

Last edited by ohgirlohboyohno; 11-19-2012 at 09:24 AM.
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
it has an on/off option, and you can block it with a PIN
Not trying to be snarky here. I just can't wrap my head around spending $50-150(depending on DSI and 3DS you buy) for a feature you won't use! That is silly IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post
so - you really can't play the 3ds games on a dsi? I thought you could play them just the 3d feature wouldn't work?

anywho - I was going to get our 5 yr old DS a nintendo DSi XL - our older DD has a 3ds and I figure if they want to switch around to play a specific game they can. I HATE the 3d feature, hurts my head. Our Wal-MArt still has the DSi XL for $129 and it has some games already loaded on it too (brainage ones which I LOVE)
Yes you can't do that, I think they were going to be like that but changed it. However I figure there are a ton of DS games out there cheap. I am so not worried about new expensive 3DS games.

I personally refuse to support a product that hurts a child's eyes even if I can turn the feature off.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Not trying to be snarky here. I just can't wrap my head around spending $50-150(depending on DSI and 3DS you buy) for a feature you won't use! That is silly IMO.
as far as the 3D option -so that others can use it, so that you can limit the option as they grow older, but still have it available & then the resale value. Then beyond the 3D option there is more memory, Netflix capabilities, better graphics, and more game options, etc in the 3DS that the DSi doesn't have. It isn't just the 3D option that makes it a better system.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2LBJ View Post
as far as the 3D option -so that others can use it, so that you can limit the option as they grow older, but still have it available & then the resale value. Then beyond the 3D option there is more memory, Netflix capabilities, better graphics, and more game options, etc in the 3DS that the DSi doesn't have. It isn't just the 3D option that makes it a better system.
Well for me I will not use 3D for myself. I already have eye problems, not risking more. Netflix would mean nothing to me either. The only time I will be using net on DSi is for game stuff, other wise it is locked down.
Graphics I haven't seen a big difference, yes i have seen both in use.
I guess it boils down to preference and what your willing to spend money on and not use.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #15
mom22sofar
Registered Users
seller
seller

So I know this is not on your list, but we just decided to get our kids the ipod touches instead of the 3ds. My kids have old ds' and like them, but ds was asking for a 3ds, he is 7 so the eye issues are not supposed to be as big a deal (although I am not so sure) and the 3DS XL here is like $200 and then we would still need to get games. Why we went with the touches was b/c we figured games are a very easy incentive and much more attainable-he can earn a couple bucks to buy a game for a touch much easier than the 30 or 40 for a ds game. Plus as they get older they can use it for music, they can facetime their grandparents that are far away, and we can tie it to dh itunes account.

I found refurbished ones on the apple store website for $129, including shipping and 1 year warranty. There are so many cool educational games and such too, many for free, that we figured it would be a better fit for our kids. Not saying the nintendos aren't great, but just wanted to toss out another option b/c it was one we hadn't really thought of-hadn't really considered the touch for 'gaming' but then again, our kids are young and don't need fancy games, just something fun for in the car or whatever.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thanks for all the replies. I think we're going to go with the 3ds...now to decide if if I want to get the standard size or the XL!

The boys already have an iPod touch! They love it!! I was hesitant to buy another electronic game system but besides junk toys that will go untouched it's all he's asked for.

Oh decisions, decisions.
MommaTooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #17
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Anyone know where I can find the best deal on a 3ds XL? Bundle maybe? No physical black Friday shopping!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
ohgirlohboyohno
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last year - after Thanksgiving (between that and Christmas) many stores had the 3ds on sale with a free gift card...it was the latest and greates so it was always on sale...I would imagine this year the 3ds XL will be the same...

This week - up until Wed -
Target has 3ds XL for $175
TRU has 3ds (regular) for $169 plus a free $20 gift card, and an accessory bundle...(you can use the gift card toward a game I guess)

NEW Giftable Innotab2 players FS (pink and blue) here
ohgirlohboyohno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #19
MommaTooters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno
Last year - after Thanksgiving (between that and Christmas) many stores had the 3ds on sale with a free gift card...it was the latest and greates so it was always on sale...I would imagine this year the 3ds XL will be the same...

This week - up until Wed -
Target has 3ds XL for $175
TRU has 3ds (regular) for $169 plus a free $20 gift card, and an accessory bundle...(you can use the gift card toward a game I guess)
Oh I forgot about that. Is that in store only (the toys r s deal)? Tried looking online but didn't see that option.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #20
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

3ds. Just because then you can play all ds games. I have the 3d turned off on ours. But we like Mario and Zelda and wanted the new ga,es, so we have the 3d one.

Best deal I've seen so far is Fred Meyer has a red one with Mario 3d for $140.

Check slick deals though. Do a search for 3ds and it will show the systems and games on sale.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote