Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: What are my options...12month old??

As for the sugar in Pediasure...

If your kid is drinking Pediasure, it is because you need easily digestible calories. You can live on Pediasure and nothing else to sustain you. I know several feeding tube kids that do. If kiddo didn't need the extra calories, you wouldn't be doing Pediasure. There is a reason pediatric nutritionists recommend it. If you are to the point that you need to be using Pediasure for more than just a couple weeks, I would ask your pediatrician for a referral to a pediatric nutritionist to work out a complete nutrition plan.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With both boys we did a mix of formula and whole milk starting at age one and slowly weaned off the formula to just whole milk over a couple months time. Both my boys were very good eaters and ate alots of variety of healthy foods. If I had picky eaters or kids that didn't eat a ton I would probably me more inclined to stick with the formula for a while longer just to make sure they were getting enough nutrition.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
mayasmomma
Registered Users
seller

Everyone is different it seems! If you have a reason to be concerned - like low weight or an allergy then yes stay on formula. I personally also prefer organic. As for right now my baby is almost 11 months and she loves organic whole cow's milk - she's had sips from my spoon while I eat my cereal in the morning. We literally just decided tonight to start mixing her formula & wcm together to get her weaned off the formula for her birthday. She sucked it down - it tastes WAY better than formula. So, this works fine for us and our pediatrician gave us the green light. Have you talked to your pediatrician? Some say to go ahead and wean before 1, some say absolutely no milk until 1. If you wean, do it gradually - a lot of dairy can cause intestinal (internal) bleeding. My baby is pretty used to dairy since starting yogurt at 6 months. Have you introduced sippy cups?
mayasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Also to consider...how varied is your child's diet? The formula has many nutrients. If your child isn't eating a varied diet, he/she may not be getting enough iron or other vitamins/minerals on whole milk alone.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa View Post
With both boys we did a mix of formula and whole milk starting at age one and slowly weaned off the formula to just whole milk over a couple months time. Both my boys were very good eaters and ate alots of variety of healthy foods. If I had picky eaters or kids that didn't eat a ton I would probably me more inclined to stick with the formula for a while longer just to make sure they were getting enough nutrition.
This is our pediatrician's recommendation, as well. Also, she discourages alternative milks as the primary beverage for little ones under two, because most brands are very low in both fat and protein. Parents have to be extra careful with the rest of the diet to make sure that the baby is getting enough of those nutrients, and many aren't.

Our little one had milk intolerance early on, so we switched gradually from Alimentum to Enfa grow (since we had a sample can) to see if he could tolerate it. I think we bought one more small can and transitioned from that to organic whole milk until he was about 22 months old.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:16 AM   #16
anne_josh
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_shell View Post
Ok...So DS just turned 1 and I am not sure I want to transition to milk just yet. So what are my options? Currently he is on Earth's Best Formula.
This is what I was thinking:
1. Keep on Earth's Best for a few more months.
2. Switch to a toddler formula..which one though.
3. Do part formula/part milk.
4. Maybe switch to alternative milk?

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!
You can keep him on the infant formula for now if you want. After 1 year it depends what their solid foods diet is like. My 2 kids have been totally different--ds1 ate virtually no solids at a year, ds2 would (and will) try anything. Earth's Best does make a toddler formula I think, too. We have been using En***row's Older Toddler (12 months and up) and ds2 is very happy with it. When I tried to put him on whole milk he got seriously constipated. I tried again a few weeks ago, same result. It was so horrible that I am going to wait a few more months to even attempt it again. I have no experience with alternative milks..

Last edited by anne_josh; 11-22-2012 at 03:37 AM.
anne_josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #17
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

I didn't necessarily mean the extra calories in the Pediasure were a bad thing. I just meant the amount of sugar itself, mainly on teeth (the only feeding tube kiddo I know personally is on Elecare). Feeding tube is a little different, as it wouldn't be anywhere near the teeth. I just meant in general, if kiddo really needs the extra calories and nutrition, formula (to me) is a better option.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ&E View Post
I didn't necessarily mean the extra calories in the Pediasure were a bad thing. I just meant the amount of sugar itself, mainly on teeth (the only feeding tube kiddo I know personally is on Elecare). Feeding tube is a little different, as it wouldn't be anywhere near the teeth. I just meant in general, if kiddo really needs the extra calories and nutrition, formula (to me) is a better option.
There is almost equivalent amount of sugar in formula. Baby formula is 22 cal/oz (some of the preemie formulas is higher). Toddler formula is usually 30 cal/oz and Pediasure is 30 cal/oz. Elecare is also 30 cal/oz. The calories in all of these come from corn syrup solids/sugar. It is typically listed as the first or second ingredient.

Last edited by luvsviola; 12-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

Interesting! I've never really had a reason to research it myself. I just know quite a few people that are very anti-Pediasure because of the sugar content, formula being more nutritionally complete, and their kids refusing food when on it. Definitely very interesting to learn about the sugar content in formula being the same or very close though.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:42 AM   #20
SPJ&E
Registered Users
seller

double post

Last edited by SPJ&E; 12-21-2012 at 08:43 PM.
SPJ&E is offline   Reply With Quote