Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
I would respond that you already got something else and leave it at that. The entitlement to gifts grosses me out.
I think that pretty tacky and agree with the above. Just say you already have the teachers Christmas gift.

Advertisement

Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Mack
Registered Users
seller

I think that room mom is doing a great thing. I agree, the teacher probably did not ask for an iPad. but if I were a teacher I would not want 12 mugs either soon to be lining the shelves of Goodwill. And to think that the parents would pool their resources to get her something that she might actually use Is a great idea, regardless of the price point. Give the manicure gift card to someone else or 1 of the other teachers and get a target Gift Card at whatever you can afford.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #13
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Am I wrong in thinking that this is a bit much...teacher gift question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
You didn't mention how much the gift card had to be. Maybe whatever amt you were going to get for starbucks or panera you get for target. Or give the mug and add the candy total to the giftcard. If someone is really trying to get a device like that even $5 helps.

We don't have room moms, but my nephew does. My SIL mentions that room mom comes up with a gift and they contribute to it. I think it would be nice to be able to get one nice gift instead of lots of small ones.

While your gift sounds nice, your child's teacher is getting 12 of those every year, year after year. Imagine how many mugs she must have. Even if it took 2 years worth of gift cards before you were able to get "the next i-product" i think its great.
I don't mind getting a gift card for Target....that's not the point. It's the amount suggested that I have a problem with. She has a total of 12 students...if everyone gave $10 that doesn't even come close to the cost of an iPad, kwim? The home room mom said she was contributing $30.
I was a third grade teacher for seven years in a lower socioeconomic area of town, and I would have been thrilled with a monogrammed insulated cup and a $10 gift card, crap I would have been thrilled with just the cup.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
I would respond that you already got something else and leave it at that. The entitlement to gifts grosses me out.
This absolutely!!

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
I think that room mom is doing a great thing. I agree, the teacher probably did not ask for an iPad. but if I were a teacher I would not want 12 mugs either soon to be lining the shelves of Goodwill. And to think that the parents would pool their resources to get her something that she might actually use Is a great idea, regardless of the price point. Give the manicure gift card to someone else or 1 of the other teachers and get a target Gift Card at whatever you can afford.
I think you misunderstood, the mani/pedi gift card has already been given to her for her birthday last week. This is another gift...Christmas. And yes, I could give what I can afford, but it was suggested I give more.

Wow! Maybe I should go back to teaching becauae apparently they receive really great gifts now.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
Steph Ed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It seems like this is a request from the class mother, not from the teacher. I don't think it even elicits a response. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and think the teacher is in on this. She might even be embarrassed if she knew about the request.
Steph Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph Ed View Post
It seems like this is a request from the class mother, not from the teacher. I don't think it even elicits a response. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and think the teacher is in on this. She might even be embarrassed if she knew about the request.
Oh, I'm sure she's not in on it. This was just a general vent about gift expectations for teachers, and how to handle the situation.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #18
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph Ed View Post
yes , this!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
this. Yeah she "would like" an ipad. but it doesn't mean you are obligated to chip in. you already got something and put thought behind it. you're done IMO
Old 11-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #20
shortcake2386
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i wouldnt even respond gifts are optional and just bc you want something doesnt mean you get it.
JoAnna,wife to my first love Michael and SAHM to Mackenzie Grace(7 years), Makaela Lynn(5years),^^Meaghan Elise^^ born sleeping July 18, 2009. and Malakai Vincent(3 years) and Mackenna Kate(1year)and one DOG
NEW trainer testers MotherGoose Designs ETSY store "Green co-ops" shoeszoos, diapers,squeeze pops
shortcake2386 is offline   Reply With Quote